new dvd drive needed

jacjay 21:18 28 Dec 07

I have an advent 7098 laptop and i need a new dvd rw drive for it. The engineer at PC world said i could send it away and they would replace it but the cost would be very high, alternativly he showed me how to remove the unit and it would be very easy to fit a new unit - only problem is they didn't have any new ones in store! He said I could buy one elsewhere and i need a standard lap top dvd rw drive - I have looked at several sites but am unsure of which one I need and am wary of ordering the wrong one incase I can't return it. Anyone any suggestions of where I can go?

Press Man 22:26 28 Dec 07

jacjay,

click here

may help?

PalaeoBill 22:52 28 Dec 07

Advent, like most laptop manufacturers, use a number of different DVD burners in their laptops. Yours could be a Philips SDVD8820 or SDVD8441 and these are available on e-bay e.g.:
click here
You can also e-mail the online stores like laptopbits.co.uk and laptopshop.co.uk and they will tell you what your options are.

You don't need to buy the whole caddy though, just the drive that is inside it. It is just a few screws. If you open up your caddy to reveal the DVD drive inside, the manufacturers name and model will be on it. You could then just google those details, order a replacement and re-fit it yourself.

jacjay 10:16 29 Dec 07

thanks - hopefully i have now sorted this. bought replacement part on ebay, same numbers etc as my original.
I was actually quite impressed with the lad at pc world who showed me how to do it but i think he got a talking to from his boss as i walked away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac