New DVD Burner Causing my PC to run slow

suburban train 12:38 15 Sep 06

HI All

I have just a purchased a brand new NEC DVD Burner but has caused my machine to run really slow.

I have a packard Bell about 5years old, 900mhz, 384mb RAM running windows xp pro, before the DVD burner I had a CD-RW which caused me no problems.

After fitting the DVD writer it has installed ok and able to copy DVD but when I come to switch on the computer after logging in. It take 5mins before I can lauch any applications. Even my wireless internet doesnt start. I am able to access files and folders and navigate my C Drive. I cant even lauch notepad after 5mins.

I cant even see Task manager and my processer doesnt look like its being hammered

After about 5mins eveything runs OK and back to normal.

Ive done the usual virus check, adware, computer cleanup just incase but now luck.

MichelleC 14:02 15 Sep 06

Have a look in device manager for your drives and make sure DMA is enabled.

suburban train 15:04 15 Sep 06

Hi MichelleC

Thanks for your reply, im in work at the mo but I will check when I am home on Monday.

Just out of interest what is DMA? How does it work?

ed-0 15:16 15 Sep 06

Direct Memory Access.

It by-passes the cpu. So every thing is written to or read from memory straight to the hard drive or dvd drive.

If the machine is 5 years old, it maybe that you need a 80wire-40pin IDE cable to run the drive properly.

Things to check

Jumper settings on the drive. Has it got any other device attached to the same IDE ribbon cable. If so are they matched as master and slave?

If yo are using XP check

control panel > system > hardware > device manager > IDEATAPi drives. Open it up and depending on which IDE channel you have check for what mode it IS running at. It will say either dma? or pio?

suburban train 21:58 21 Sep 06

Been able check the settings and DMA is assigned. However I am not having the problem anymore it seems to have resolved itself but i will keep your comments for future use.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…