New drive on a Samsung laptop

Eagle25 12:41 18 May 06

I have to replace the hard drive in a Samsung X05 (which I bought secondhand)running XP but, although I have installed new drives in a desktop, I have not attempted this in a laptop and need some advice please.

The current drive is 30Gb – Will I be able to use 60gb?
Are 2.5” drives all the same size externally. It’s a very snug fit! How do I know whether a new drive will be compatible?
I have the Samsung-supplied XP re-install CD (not full XP). Will I be able to use this on a blank drive and I assume that, with a new drive, I will have to re-activate this with Microsoft. Am I likely to have any problems as I am a second owner?

Any help would be appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 18 May 06

The current drive is 30Gb – Will I be able to use 60Gb?

that depends on the BIOS but probably yes.

Are 2.5” drives all the same size externally. It’s a very snug fit! How do I know whether a new drive will be compatible?

No some drive are slightly thicker they come in 9mm or 12mm heights make sure you get one that fits.

I have the Samsung-supplied XP re-install CD (not full XP). Will I be able to use this on a blank drive and I assume that, with a new drive,

If the restore disk activates a hidden partition on the HDD to reinstall windows then you may need to purchase a new copy of windows and find all the drivers for the equipment in the laptop.

you can back up the drivers and save to a pen drive or cd before you take out the old HDD.
Driver guide toolkit will do that for you. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…