new drive

ameba 13:22 15 Sep 04

I just got a 120 GB drive for my pc installed but nothing seems to have changed? I got a bigger drive to accomodate all the programmes I have. Although I got a bigger drive, do I also need to get more memory? I have 512 MB RAM but it says I only have 31% free.

Windows ME
Hard disc controllers
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller ( dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
I thought a bigger drive would have made pc start up a lot quicker which is a bit slow.
Old drive is now slave and pc partitoned once not into two.
Can I move files, programmes, from old drive onto new drive?

stlucia 13:40 15 Sep 04

You don't need extra memory just because you've got a bigger drive.

Startup won't be any quicker with a bigger drive unless you were having a space problem with the old drive.

You can copy files from old drive to new drive, but you'll need to reinstall programs if you want them to be on a different drive from what they're on now.

ameba 13:45 15 Sep 04

Thanks for your help. If I install programmes to new drive, can I remove them from old drive with no affect to new drive?

stlucia 13:57 15 Sep 04

Yes. To avoid confusion (to you and the software!) it's best to uninstall the existing program first, and then do a clean install onto your new drive. I presume you're leaving Windows ME where it is.

ameba 14:08 15 Sep 04

Yes, I'll not touch the windows programmes or ME at all or my aol. I just want to move programmes like paint shop pro. digital camera programme and stuff I installed after I got pc.

Thanks again for your help

ameba 14:09 15 Sep 04

forgot to click resolved......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…