New development

Southernboy 17:05 07 Jun 06

Typed in stages as keeping losing connection!

Southernboy 17:06 07 Jun 06

My son is moving away so I will no longer have access to his computer for the internet. I shall need to acquire for for internet purposes.

Southernboy 17:09 07 Jun 06

Have recovered this from storage. It failed last year, mightbe the battery, but there were all sorts of problems and crashes.

I wonder if it is worth trying to get it going. It is very basic, only 32Mb of SDRAM, 8Gb HD, not CD writer etc, but might just do for net use only. Has Pentium 2 333Mb.

Southernboy 17:11 07 Jun 06

I would like to buy a new, very basic computer, but checking the likely sources, there seems to be nothing under £500/600 if you need at least a one year on site warranty.

Southernboy 17:13 07 Jun 06

with W98SE, that there may be problems, even thought is purely for net use, which might include downloading data (not music or films( to CD?

Any advice welcome. WE have NO local computer shops, only PC World and not keen on buying a PC from them as no on-site service.

Southernboy 17:15 07 Jun 06

Not mean, just cash very tight (am retired) so cannot afford to splash out on this computer.

Favour Evesham as their products and service are first-rate, but you get what you pay for, so they are a little on the high side for me.

Southernboy 12:34 09 Jun 06

I had to submit this query over several posts but, at the time, AOL kept reconnecting itself.

Can anyone advise me if it is worth spending time trying to get a 1998 Mesh PC working, or should I not bother?

By the way, having opened it up you have never seen so much dust!!!! Looks like Miss Haversham's wedding breakfast. It is safe to use an ordinary vacuum, obviously taking care to not actually touch anything with the nozzle, but holding close enough to (hopefully) clear the worst of it. The dust on the Pentium 2 fan is really thick.

SB23 15:10 09 Jun 06

However carefull you would be, I was always told that you can still get a static build up, and damage your system. I use compressed air. Very effective too.

terryf 15:38 09 Jun 06

I think I would bin it and also get away from AOL if you can

ade.h 15:51 09 Jun 06

I clean mine every 3 or 4 months with a hoover and a small selection of brushes. A radiator brush is particularly good for the intricate gills on a Zalman CPU heatsink. I avoid compressed air like the plague simply because the propellant aggrevates my asthma.

namtas 16:02 09 Jun 06

Your post request for advice must be in some form of code, judging from the replies that you are recieving. Afraid I am unable to crack it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…