New Desktop query

pafc1 10:26 27 Jun 08

Hi all,
Being quite ancient and only having bought one PC previously perhaps I can ask for some advice?
My current machine is over 5 years old and is starting to creak, my daughter-in-law bought a new pc recently and using it convinced me to consider a change later this year. Not being very technical, one essential item I need is a good back up service if needed; I have included a separate hard drive as program storage.
I have many photos and other programs so I need a fair amount of disc space, other than that it's mainly e-mails, streaming radio, multi-tasking and surfing, I would like more speed when surfing, consistent with my present ISP, for changing programs and when I start up. I am considering options, but I am leaning towards Cougar as they have some good write ups regarding service and you can have a big choice of components, I don't know enough to be sure I have the right components chosen? Any advice?

Item Name Quantity Price Total
Home Office Intel Core 2 Duo (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 8Mb Cach, 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 - 2 x 1GB, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, 160GB Secondary SATA HDD, , , 512Mb Nvidia 8500GT graphics card DX10, QC - Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI (Dual graphics), DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, No Floppy Disk Drive, 19 Inch Yuraku TFT widescreen MA9JBA, Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM), No Additional Software, , 13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage) (remove)
£627.44

Also if there is any advice on transferring programs for old PC to new? Many thanks if you can help.

oldbeefer2 15:19 27 Jun 08

For what you want to do, you don't need to spend that much (IMHO). Newer computer won't speed up your surfing - that's a function of the condition of your telephone line (among lots of other things). Transfering programs will need you to load them from the original CDs. Transfering files can be done using the wizard. However, if the old machine is XP and the new one Vista, you will need a special transfer cable and a CD which will program the XP machine before transfer starts. I've just done this for a friend with a cable/CD that cost a tenner from ebay - worked a treat click here.

pafc1 16:46 27 Jun 08

Thanks oldbeefer2, the info on the changeover is just what I needed, but regarding new pc, although i am sure i may have gone over the top for my use, but i was thing of future proofing as i may not need to replace this PC!!!.
Where do you suggest i reduce the spec's?
many thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…