New Desktop PC advice please

danpep5552 12:13 31 Dec 09

There are signs I may have to change my PC in the not too distant future. I need a PC that can cope with mainly office work with some streaming of sports events. I may have as many as 8 office programmes open at any one time. Rarely if ever any game play (maybe club Penguin occasionally!). I also would like to work in a quiet environment (in a small office). I will need at least 8 USB’s and a fire wire. Cost is not really a factor but service is, so a good warranty is preferably on site and maybe up to 3 years. I will not buy Acer again having had so much trouble with their service on lap tops I have purchased from them. Can anyone recommend/point me in the right direction please?

robin_x 12:21 31 Dec 09

You wont get 8 USBs but mebbe a cheap hub will do.

I have 3 USBs + a 4 port (<£10) hub which works on my Tower and my Laptop.

Watch out with Windows 7. Drivers may not be available for printers/graphics/TV/ etc etc etc.

Woolwell 12:53 31 Dec 09

If you go down the USB hub route then get a powered hub as then you should avoid any power problems.

Many recommend Novatech although I haven't personally used them.

kdt 14:12 31 Dec 09

I ordered Dell Vostro 430 with xp pro downgrade from w7 pro 32 bit. You can always use powered usb hubs. Haven't got deliver yet as order went out on 23rd Dec.

jamesd1981 19:24 31 Dec 09

my last desktop was a medion from aldi usualy have good size drive 4gb ram and an average graphics card mine came with 6 usb ports on the back and 2 on the front built into a card reader they usualy sell for £399 and come with a 3 year warranty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 31 Dec 09

Medion from Aldi next Thursday 3 year guarantee
1Tb drive

jamesd1981 20:08 31 Dec 09

oh didnt know abt that one fruit bat how much ? there is a decent desktop for those on a budget at tesco medion with 320gb drive 4gb ram nvidia graph card for £199 but as with most medions in shops doesnt come with a screen.

GaT7 17:47 01 Jan 10

"Cost is not really a factor but service is, so a good warranty is preferably on site and maybe up to 3 years."

In that case, get a Dell with a 3-year onsite/in-home service.

This quad-core Inspiron 560 MT click here for £480 should do nicely. It comes with a 2-year in-home warranty as standard & extending it to 3-years of cover adds only £30 to the price - make this change before placing your order.

The 1Tb drive version adds a further £20 only click here. Don't forget to increase cover to 3-years.

The only thing that concerns me is that both come with 64-bit Win7, which cannot be changed in the configuration. You will need to determine compatibility with your present software & hardware with 64-bit Win7 click here before purchasing. Also click here for the PCA forum thread dealing with 64-bit stuff that works.

Do you require a monitor & other peripherals as well? G

User-312386 18:17 01 Jan 10

Loads of PCs have 8 usb, mine does and its 3 years old. I have 6 at the rear and 2 at the front. Do alot of research and you will find what you are looking for Novatech are excellent for customer support click here

GaT7 18:28 01 Jan 10

madboy33©®, I don't think Novatech offers an on-site warranty. G

danpep5552 10:46 02 Jan 10

Dell were fifth worse in a recent poll for customer service. BT were fourth so with their previous reputation I had heard of up to a few years ago I had discounted them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac