New Desktop computer

Rockstone 19:59 06 Nov 06

An elderly lady needs to purchase a new desktop computer as a first time buyer. Intends to use broadband internet.Prepared to spend £700 to £800. Would like a large screen and would not object to a good printer being part of the bargain.
She needs to go to a company with a good after sales and service reputation.
Of current computers on the market, what are the recommendations?

tony58 20:10 06 Nov 06

have a look at this click here people that run and own it are usually at the other end of the phone.tony

woodchip 20:14 06 Nov 06

tony58

Link could not be foundfor me

skidzy 20:17 06 Nov 06

Nor me in Firefox and IE

skidzy 20:35 06 Nov 06

click here The Dimension 9200 £739.00 includes vat and shipping.

If you consider this model,ring Dell first and haggle a little,you can save a few pounds.I did when buying my lappy after advice from PCA members.I saved around £65.00 from the online price.

Although i havnt needed there support from after sales yet,i can vouch for the sales team....they were brilliant.Once paid they rang me and told me the lappy would be delivered on a certain day and time ....sorry to say the delivery man was a minute or two early.Only joking it was delivered exactly as the sales team said it would be.

Just an idea to help point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

wee eddie 20:56 06 Nov 06

If her requirements are just the Internet, letters and possibly movies, don't waste her money.

£400 will buy her quite sufficient, with on-board sound & graphics, a 17" monitor with built in speakers and an older design printer on the side.

Just make sure that she can buy her Ink Refills from someone like Choice.

interzone55 22:43 06 Nov 06

I think tony58 meant click here they are pretty good, all PCs built to order and are totally customisable. PCs are fully tested prior to despatch and delivery is quick. They will even supply PCs without an operating system if you so desire.

I would say though that for internet, emails, letters etc a very basic PC would suffice.

click here
This is a decent basic spec PC for only £580, with 17" monitor, printer & freeview TV tuner, remove the tuner to save £50

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant