New Desktop advice please

Konfused 20:08 27 Dec 07

I do a bit of VB6 programming, a bit of web surfing (only about 4-6 hours per week) and have a 'medium' sized collection of images. I do not do any gaming whatsoever. So what machine would be "best" for me?

My simplistic questions are:
Presumably I would be best off with a very fast duo dual core processor in preference to a quad processor? What speed is "best" or should I be looking for?

Why would my application benefit from increasing from 2Gb to 4Gb RAM? OR is 2Gb sufficient?

Why do I need a graghics card - whould it be used in my application?

I want a really good 22" FP monitor which hopefully will last a few years and go with my next computer which I purchase after this one - but which manufacturer and model would be "best"?

So what machine would be "best" for me if I have say £800-900 to spend or should I look at £500 and buy twice as often.........................

NewestRoyWidd1 18:08 28 Dec 07

I know its obvious,but without a graphics card,you'll see nothing, just a blank monitor!
As for your other questions,other forum members are far better qualified than me to advise you.

fishface113 20:27 28 Dec 07

I would advise that you buy a basic unit without monitor. There are many about for less than £300. Any of them will have ample performance for what you are doing. They generally have built in graphics and sound that will give adequate performance. Then add a monitor of your choice, I use a Fujitsu L22 22" widescreen which I find excellent for the money. You would be then wise to add a decent sized external drive in the 320 - 500 gig range to store your pictures and data.
If you shop carefully you should stay around the £500 mark.

Oh and if its Vista installed make sure you have 2 gigs of ram cos it will need it.

Good Luck

Try ebuyer they have several base units available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…