New Desktop

Skinn 13:40 22 Nov 04

Hi all,

I have the chance of buying this system for £460, which is the price a reseller would pay, through an employee of the manufacturer. I am undecided whether to go for it as yet and have some questions at the end of this post. Any replies would be appreciated.

Here is the spec:

AMD Semperon 3000+
512MB DDR RAM
160GB HDD
DVDRW Combi Drive
Phillips Stereo Speakers
Multi Channel Sound (integrated)
64MB DDR Graphics
10/100 LAN (Broadband Ready)
56K Modem
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Microsoft Works
5 title games bundle
Educational Software bundle
Child Protection Software Bundle
Logitech Internet Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse
17” CRT Monitor
Stereo Speakers
Firewire
Front USB
1 year direct service warranty

The only upgrades I would need are:

128MB Graphic card
3.5" Floppy drive
Firewire

My main use would be Creative/Multimedia.

Is this a good price?
Would it be likely for the price to be reduced after Christmas?
How much should I expect to pay for the upgrades?
Is it suitable for the intended use?

Thanks again,

Skinn

Gongoozler 14:57 22 Nov 04

Hi Skinn. The price is probably reasonable, but without knowing more it's impossible to say how good. My main observations are:

a/ The Sempron 3000+ processor alone is abot £80 click here

b/ If the graphics are integrated, the motherboard is probably micro-ATX and would severely restrict your future upgrade options.

c/ If there is no floppy drive included, is there a space for one in the case?

d/ Don't be too impressed by the keyboard and mouse, although excellent in themselves, they are available for about £12 + £6 postage click here and click here.

e/ A very good £17 inch totally flat faced crt monitor is available from the same supplier for about £80 click here.

The market for computers is so competitive that I don't think prices will change much after Christmas.

Skinn 11:48 23 Nov 04

Hi Gongoozler and any other contibutors,

Thanks for your reply.

You said:

"The price is probably reasonable, but without knowing more it's impossible to say how good."

It is a Phillips iQon MMBP912 which is available to view on click here.

"If the graphics are integrated, the motherboard is probably micro-ATX and would severely restrict your future upgrade options."

The graphics are integrated but would it be possible to have the card upgraded in the factory before purchase? How much should I pay for this?
Also, with this spec. does it really need to be upgradable?

They do not do firewires - is it difficult/expensive to do this yourself?

Would it be suitable for creative/multimedia use?

Thanks again,

Skinn

Gongoozler 13:43 23 Nov 04

Hi Skinn. I have a lot of respect for Philips goods. They are generally well made and reasonably priced. The only way I can judge the value for money of a computer is by comparing it with what it would cost me to make an equivalent. Taking this one as an example, the cost of building would be approximately :- Case approx £30, Motherboard approx £40, Processor with heatsink approx £90, memory £30, hard drive £60, dvd-rw drive £50, speakers £10, monitor £80, Windows XP oem £62, keyboard and mouse £12. The total for these is about £464. This is almost the same as what you are being offered the completed computer bundle for.

My concern over the microATX motherboard is that they generally have only 3 pci expansion slots, and sometimes don't even have an AGP slot for you to fit your own graphics card. You probably won't need to upgrade the graphics card unless you intend to use the computer for fast 3D gaming.

I don't have any experience of Philips computers, but many of the large manufacturers have their own proprietary compponents such as motherboard and case which are very difficult to upgrade, however if the computer does what you want of it straight out of the box, then this looks like a reasonably priced package.

Skinn 14:31 23 Nov 04

Hello again, Gongoozler,

Thanks again for your reply. before I take the plunge would you mind answering the following:

1)How much extra should I expect to pay for the graphics card upgrade?

2)They do not do firewires - is it difficult/expensive to do this yourself?

3)Would it be suitable for creative/multimedia use?

Thanks again,

Skinn

Skinn 16:31 12 Dec 04

I have been quoted £45 to upgrade the graphics card to 128Mb. I sthat a reasonable price?

Also, if I was to have a DVD-ROM drive fitted, how much extra should I expect to pay?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…