New Dell Dimension - why can't I play old cd?

JohnnyAlucarD 21:29 23 Sep 03

can any one please help? I have a brand new (1 day old!) Dell Dimension 8300 with more bells and whistles than a morris dancer - but I have some (old -1988) multi-media Iron Maiden CD's + I want to play the CD Video part. When I put the disk in either (DVD-Rewriter or DVD Rom) tray i get this message "Director Player 6.0 - this program requires at least 3mb of virtual memory to run" then closes (rather than auto-play). I can open the thing in my computer and access the CD part, but - what gives? This thing has 1024mb of 400 DDR ram? Can anyone tell me how I can get these things to play? Please! Also my new Media player can't play a div x file I downloaded today - says it can't find the codec (yet my old PC XP 1600 played it fine?) any one help - will be eternally greatful

PAM-260565 21:32 23 Sep 03

sorry cant help with your prob, but I was going to order this PC online tomorrow from Dell website. apart from your above prob, would you recommend? (Im really sorry for going offtopic, but I am PC illiterate and really need advice on buying one)

Groove_remover 21:37 23 Sep 03

What are the file extension names for the files you want to play?
Open folders options in the control panel and then change the file extensions to open the files with another program, maybe the Windows media player, as opposed to the Director player. I assume that the diector player is on the new PC and not from the CD itself??

JohnnyAlucarD 21:38 23 Sep 03

Well - it's early days really - but the screen is really really good , bright, sharp and clear. I have to say I am really looking forward to playing some decent games on the thing. It's fast too , but then what would you expect. Surprisingly Windows XP seems...different to the verison I was running on my last PC. Would I buy this system if I were you? As I said, it's very early days but the monitor and the sound are great. Hope that's a help?
Now please, anyone out there can you help me with my problems??

JohnnyAlucarD 21:40 23 Sep 03

Groove Remover - I have absolutely no idea what "Director Player 6.0 " is! I searched for it through "search" - and found nothing! So I don't know what the program is!?

Kitz E Kat 21:45 23 Sep 03

Did you consider that it might not like Iron Maiden, just a thought!!!! :-)

Groove_remover 22:09 23 Sep 03

Looks like the director player 6 is on the CD itself and is attempting to use that to play the file.
After placing it in the draw try and access it from My Computer and then the drive its in. If the files are displayed then right click on one and try the function "open with" and then select the media player from the list.

JohnnyAlucarD 22:14 23 Sep 03

Yeah, thanks very much mate - they will play in quick time's movie player - I have to go through the rigmarole of opening this and that but at least they play. What I cannot understand is why they won't just play in media player - they did in my old PC (which is only juat 2 years old and was running XP and had media player 8 - I think.)
If anyone has a reason why I can't play div-x file on windows media player on my new PC please let me know.

Groove_remover 22:22 23 Sep 03

Now that you have found and can open the files, you need to check the properties on them (right click on the file)and establish what the file extension is. Then as before - Control panel-Folder options-File types tab and then change the program to Quicktime or Windows Media player.
Once the computer recognises the file type it will automatically open the rogram that you have dictated and then Hey presto!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…