New Custom Gaming PC Desktop. Buy Now Or Wait a Little?

BMatt02 17:08 01 Jan 15

Hi All,

I have decided,to buy a new PC and looking at a custom fast desktop pc for games, video editing, some graphics and general office. Budget 1300/1500 pounds. I have a few questions and confused about the following...

Q. I've never bought a custom PC before so maybe this is a stupid question but, if two people were to build the same pc from the same components, would they both operate as fast or are there other factors involved? Can one person tweak it differently? Is that what you're paying for from a professional company vs a friend?

Q. I've heard Intel are coming out with a new chip in 2015...should I wait?

Q. What are the key criteria to look for with a new machine that's future proof such as motherboard?

Q. Is an overclocked machine the way to go because I've heard it can shorten the pc's lifespan. If I'm spending this much on a machine, what do you advise?

Q. I've heard 4K gaming is the next big thing. If I bought now, how do I prepare for that?

Q. Whats the purpose of having 2 drives a solid state one and a regular drive?

Thanks for your help? BM

mole1944 17:29 01 Jan 15

I find you buy the best when you do and then two weeks later it's either better specked or cheaper,there is no good time to buy.

Ian in Northampton 17:39 01 Jan 15

I have decided,to buy a new PC and looking at a custom fast desktop pc for games, video editing, some graphics and general office. Budget 1300/1500 pounds. I have a few questions and confused about the following...

Q. I've never bought a custom PC before so maybe this is a stupid question but, if two people were to build the same pc from the same components, would they both operate as fast or are there other factors involved? Can one person tweak it differently? Is that what you're paying for from a professional company vs a friend?

In theory, there are many ways of tweaking a PC. But what you're really paying for if you buy from a professional builder is the peace of mind that you'll get a working PC with a guarantee.

Q. I've heard Intel are coming out with a new chip in 2015...should I wait?

Intel typically come out with a new chip every year. You could wait forever, knowing that there will always be something better just around the corner. The best time to buy is when yo need/want it. There is some justification for waiting until the couple of months before Intel release their newest processor, as that's when the price of the current generation is likely to be at its lowest.

Q. What are the key criteria to look for with a new machine that's future proof such as motherboard?

That's hard to say. You won't go far wrong buying the very latest from a reputable mobo manufacturer.

Q. Is an overclocked machine the way to go because I've heard it can shorten the pc's lifespan. If I'm spending this much on a machine, what do you advise?

Overclocking done right is OK. It typically places extra demands on cooling, which people often forget. You may want to choose a CPU/motherboard/BIOS combination that enables overclocking - but proceed with care.

Q. I've heard 4K gaming is the next big thing. If I bought now, how do I prepare for that?

You'll need a powerful processor, plenty of memory and an expensive graphics card with plenty of onboard memory to be ready for 4K gaming.

Q. Whats the purpose of having 2 drives a solid state one and a regular drive?

A sold state drive provides access speeds the same as main memory. Thus, it means that the operating system and programs load much faster than with a normal hard drive. But: SSD is more expensive, so many people will also configure a 'normal' drive that is cheaper for things they don't need superfast access to such as documents, photos and so on.

Thanks for your help? BM

wee eddie 21:34 01 Jan 15

Just a couple of things.

Future Proofing is a myth. In the next month, or so, something new will always be along.

We're into the January Sale time. The PC's for sale are those that are made in batches, not those which are made to your individual specification.

So ~ If you look at a Gaming Models from the top of a Manufacturers Range, it is likely to be better value than one you tell them to alter to your specification.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant