New custom built PC and security

Sean_cool 13:49 20 Aug 08

Hi
I'm due to take ownership of a new custom built pc from Cougar Extreme. I noticed that I also get AVG Anti Virus & AVG Anti Spyware thrown in.

My OS is Vista Home Microsoft Premium (OEM) and i was wondering if someone could let me know:

1. Are these good security systems to use?

2. Is there a specific firewall that anyone would recommend which would compliment the above?

3.Does Vista come with it's own firewall included and if so, would this be adequate to run alongside the AVG systems?

Over the last few days, I've been looking at all the posts in relation to security and now have managed to give myself brain overload as there are so many floating around. I'm just trying to establish what would suit my system best. If i have already asked a question that has been put up before, i apologise and if someone could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful.

Sean

RobCharles1981 13:56 20 Aug 08
  Sean_cool 14:21 20 Aug 08

Sorry, but I'm a newbie on this subject and forgive me if I'm asking a daft question here.

On my last PC i ran BullGuard security , which I had purchased. This gave me everything that i needed, and more, and was fairly straight forward to use.

In this case, I take it that the AVG anti virus and AVG anti spyware are not Firewalls. I would need to make sure that i had a separate firewall running alongside it. I.e one of the ones that RobTheOrganGuru kindly identified via the link?

Sean

Sean_cool 14:50 20 Aug 08

searched forum" at the top of the page as i noticed that this question has been asked on a number (1000) occasions.

Sorry for waisting your time.

Sean

isca2 14:54 20 Aug 08

Answer to your question(3) is yes, Windows Vista does have it's own firewall, but the general consensus sees to be that you should not use it but install a commercial one, freebie or otherwise.The AVG free versions that come with your new PC are perfectly adequate Anti Virus and Anti Spyware programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now