//some 3rd party need geo

New Critical Updates

TopBloke37 09:46 14 Jul 04

Just a quickie for any who don't get their Critical Updates automatically downloaded.
Four, yes 4! out today, security issues etc.

Diodorus Siculus 10:27 14 Jul 04

Thanks - will have a look when I boot into XP.

Wak 10:37 14 Jul 04

Hi, I assume you are using XP but there are also three (3) updates for people who are still on Win 98.
Thanks for the info.

Smegs 10:41 14 Jul 04

Is this on top of the 5 yesterday??

Stuartli 11:21 14 Jul 04
  end 12:24 14 Jul 04

am i going to regret asking this....but ??why ARE they so "critical"??DO people keep finding flaws IN programs or what?? and is it really important TO download them....I for one seldom use my OE for anything as i have web based e mail and read it from there and NOT in OE ..(famous last words now and i get something on here I dont want!!)

newts 13:01 14 Jul 04

Have just downloaded the 5 and my system has crashed XP home. Have separate XP prof and its done the same with that. What updates are these!!!!!!!!!!

Stuartli 13:04 14 Jul 04

Individuals and organisations all around the world spend a great deal of time analysing possible/potential/actual cases of problems, critical or otherwise, with software products.

In the case of Microsoft, when advised by them of potential trouble, it takes steps to provide a cure or cures and then posts them as critical, moderate etc updates/HotFixes/patches in order of importance.

Such updates are issued for a very good reason and, without meaning to sound somewhat toffee-nosed, of course it is important to download and install them.

That is unless you thoroughly enjoy trying (probably helplessly) to keep on top of your system without taking advantage of such background work.

There's also no need to use capital letters in your postings - it doesn't emphasise as much as you might believe, but does prove somewhat irritating.

Shas 13:13 14 Jul 04

Can you say what the three WIN 98 updates actually were? Reason I ask is that I had already checked for updates this morning just before this thread appeared and for 98/98SE there was only one. My installation log shows that my previous update was 1 on 5th July and before that, 2 on 23rd March. Just wondering if I'm perhaps not getting them all. Thanks.

smokingbeagle 13:28 14 Jul 04

Yes 6 critical updates totalling 3.5mb. Irritating isn't it 5 years after release and SP4 installed.

GaT7 13:42 14 Jul 04

You're right, there was only one Win98 update. The other two that Wak mentioned are probably KB823353 (for OE6) & KB870669 (ADODB.stream for IE) which he/she probably d'loaded together with the first one. HTH, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…