New CPU XP Pro wont boot missing file

uncleherman 16:14 20 Nov 04

My problem is this after installing a new CPU in my PC,Windows XP Pro boots to the following message:-
WINDOWS could not start because following file is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system
I tried using my slipstreamed windows cd to repair the file but this wouldn't boot,I tried original cd but this reported a bad file? probably due to the fact I installed using an SP2 slipstreamed cd.
Does anybody know if I can repair this file using Knoppix or similar or any other way to repair file
TIA

Rayuk 16:16 20 Nov 04

click here
Used this method a couple of weeks back on friends pc to do a system restore.

uncleherman 09:53 21 Nov 04

Thanks for help rayuk Tried bartPE couldn't get it to boot various corrupt files managed to boot XP disc with the same outcome corrupt files cleaned CD no difference.Looks like I'll after do a clean install.Windows don't you just love it

handful 10:27 21 Nov 04

uncleherman
Have just had to reformat and reinstall after the same message. I have had this now on around 8-10 different occasions over 2 years and sometimes the microsoft instructions do work but I have found that it is usually only a short time before it happens again. I would LOVE to know what causes it and what preventative measures you can take.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 21 Nov 04

Happens regular to me aswell haen't found a cure but have an easier fix.

Once your system is up and running again, and working properly. make a new directory on c drive as c:\back then

1. Boot with XP CD into recovery consul.

2. log into windows (1 press enter) cursor flashes at c:\windows

3. type CD c:\windows\system32\config press enter you should now be in the this directory.

4. type copy system c:\back sytem will reort 1 fle copied (you have now backed up a good copy of the system file that keeps getting corrupted).

5. type exit press enter and reboot into windows as normal.

Next time the sysem file gets corrupted and XP will not boot. then:-

1. Boot with XP CD into recovery consul.

2. log into windows (1 press enter) cursor flashes at c:\windows

3. type cd c:\back press enter(will change to back folder, cursor flashes at c:\back).

4. type copy system c:\windows\system32\config press enter (message appears file exists overwrite y n all) press y (message appears 1 file copied)

5. type exit and windows should now reboot ok.

If you install new software or updates the system file is alos updated so it is worth backing up you updated system file to c:\back aswell the above procedure after installing new software.

handful 12:17 21 Nov 04

Fruit Bat /\0/What a top tip...I will definitely give this a go 'next time' as I am sure there will be a next time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…