New CPU not communicating with monitor

flyn 11:34 06 Feb 04

I have purchased a new CPU to bring overseas with me, and decided to test it out with my monitor at home, despite the people at the shop fixing it up with the monitor to show me its specs.

But at home, when I plug it in to my monitor and power source all my monitor reads is NO SIGNAL.

But when I reattach my monitor to the old CPU, everything is fine. What could the problem be?

Diemmess 11:52 06 Feb 04

You need to be a bit more specific. If you really mean only the CPU then it would suggest at least a need to reset its parameters in the BIOS, or at worst incompatibility with your motherboard.

Tell us what you have, and exactly what you are replacing.

Gongoozler 11:57 06 Feb 04

Hi flyn. Do you mean the computer base unit? If so, when you switch it on, does it make the normal switch - on sounds such as the POST beep, hard drive activity Windows sounds etc.

flyn 12:03 06 Feb 04

It's just the CPU that I have plugged in. And no, it did not make beepy noises. The thing is (can you tell I am not good at computers at ALL?) it's one of those new small CPUs that is less than half the size of a regular CPU.

I am not replacing anything. I have a pentium 4 2.8, 512DDRAM, 120GB HD and hooked it up to just a regular monitor.

ventanas 12:10 06 Feb 04

I think for CPU we should read the box as Gongoozler suggests.

It seems it worked with a monitor in the shop, and his own monitor works on his old PC, but when connected to the new machine only shows no signal.

Also add no beeps etc. it would appear that something has happened between the shop and home.

No signal means just that. The Computer appears to be not working.

Diemmess 12:13 06 Feb 04

I understand the details about what you have, but you say you are "not replacing anything"?

What is it that you have bought? What is the label on the packaging?

Diemmess 12:17 06 Feb 04

If ventanas is right, then may be inconvenient, but a quick trip back to the shop, even taking the monitor this time should solve it.

Not a good idea to lift the cover while the shop has still the responsibility.

Indigo 1 12:24 06 Feb 04

When you say "to bring overseas" does that mean you bough it in a different country to where you are using it?

Are the voltages compatible ?

UK = 230v AC

US = 110v AC

If you are using a UK PC on US voltage then it will not work.

duckers 13:03 06 Feb 04

......it'll probably never work again by the sound of things,,, ;-)

Djohn 13:21 06 Feb 04

If your monitor is a TFT then it may be that the new unit you have bought has the refresh rate set too high on the graphics card. This would give "No signal" on the screen.

If this is the case then connect the old monitor and reduce your refresh rate to 60hz by right click of the mouse on the desktop, then choose properties/settings/advanced/monitor tab, and reduce the refresh rate from there. j.

Djohn 13:22 06 Feb 04

Then reconnect the new monitor. Remember to turn off your PC each time you change the monitor over. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…