//some 3rd party need geo

New CPU, new motherboard. Can't get past BIOS

John Ba 19:41 07 Dec 05

Following a power supply blow up I have replaced the CPU and the motherboard of my computer. Unfortunately, I can't get beyond the BIOS stage when I power up the computer. When started, the fans start, it makes an encouraging single POST beep, and it recognises the new CPU correctly as well as checking the full amount of memory. It then appears to correctly identify the IDE drives and then the screen goes blank for a while. There's then the very briefest of flashes of a blue screen with some writing on it coupled with the very first Windows XP logo (the oversized one at start up). A while later the computer then cycles back to checking the IDE drives. Throughout this process the hard drive spins.

I've set the CPU clock speed on the motherboard and in the BIOS. The hard drive is attached to the IDE 1 slot and its jumper is set in the default (cable select position).

As my floppy drive doesn't work I've also tried different boot orders, making the computer try to boot from the hard disk first, but it makes no difference.

Does any one have suggestions as to what could be wrong, what tests I could do, or how to get past this stage? I've tested the hard drive in another computer and I can certainly read the non-windows files so I assume it hasn't been corrupted when my power supply blew up.

With many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that you may make.

ICF 19:47 07 Dec 05

How many sticks of memory do you have install?If you have more than on try only one at a time.One stick might be faulty.

Methedrine 20:04 07 Dec 05

Try the jumper in the "Master" position.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 07 Dec 05

I have replaced the CPU and the motherboard

XP drivers are set for the old motherboard and CPU as XP detects the motherboard and attempts to install bus drivers then it conflicts with the new board.

Enter BIOS Set the boot order as CD 1st HDD 2nd

Boot with the XP CD in the rive and do a repair install

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

woodchip 20:26 07 Dec 05

If you changed the Motherboard With same drive and it's XP that's why it's not starting you should do a repair. click here some photo guides below the text

John Ba 21:02 07 Dec 05

Thank you all for your advice. I did change the motherboard and I'm doing a repair install of windows XP on the computer even as I write, so the computer now appears to be up and running.

Of interest, one of the memory sticks wouldn't work on its own in one of the three memory slots (the other would) - I'll have to bear that in mind in the future.

With many thanks.

woodchip 21:12 07 Dec 05

Load the Motherboard Drivers from the CD when it's running

phono 21:13 07 Dec 05

Test the dubious RAM with memtest86.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…