New CPU Install - Program Crashes?

Crazygeorge3 21:46 17 Dec 08

Hey all,

Recently i decided it was time to move into the present, and go multicore. Previously i had this setup:

Asus A8M2N-LA Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ AM2 SKT
3GB DDR2 RAM
Geforce 8600GTS

I bought a new AMD Athlon X2 5000+ AM2, fitted it in fine and my pc runs fine.

BUT, for some reason, particular programs keep crashing after a few seconds of use.

Windows media player for example now crashes more frequently, sometimes it lets me use it, other times it just crashes out within seconds. Also 75% of the computer games i've tried crash out to the desktop.

So far i've reinstalled my GPU drivers, but that hasn't worked?

I've googled it, but nothing really helps.

Any suggestions? Cheers!

Technotiger 21:54 17 Dec 08

Did you remember to use Thermal Paste? Sounds like CPU over-heating.

Crazygeorge3 22:02 17 Dec 08

I did have a tube of thermal paste, but the heat sink already came with a layer on the bottom, so i thought that was sufficient.

I just checked my CPU temperature using Speedfan, my PC has been on since 4pm this afternoon, i'm web browsing, listening to tunes on realplayer and sending emails, current temp is 37 degrees. That's suitable i take it?

Technotiger 22:11 17 Dec 08

37 is not excessive. I am only guessing, but two thoughts - is your mobo up to it, as far as the CPU upgrade is concerned - and, are you sure that you have not slightly dislodged something while doing the upgrade?

direct cpu games benefit from dual core optimiser 4th down click here
check in device manager under processer, try uninstall and reboot, failing that power possibly?

btw, if xp you may need the driver, or a bios flash as last resort (if the correct model doesnt show in device manager for example)

Crazygeorge3 22:38 17 Dec 08

Thanks for all of your suggestions,

I did some background checks on the board before hand, and all sources indicated towards my board being handle any of the X2 series. I don't think anything became dislodged, although it might be worth mentioning the heatsink was a 4 slot plug, and i plugged it into a 3 slot adapter on my mobo.

Technotiger 22:48 17 Dec 08

A good bit of reading here, which might be relevant and/or point you in the right direction ...

click here

ambra4 22:53 17 Dec 08

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ will work fine on the Asus A8M2N-LA Motherboard

ASUS A8M2N-LA CPU Support and Features

click here

Upgrade the processor on your A8M2N-LA motherboard

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…