New control panel item Windows Cardspace

terryf 00:50 13 Feb 07

Does anyone know anything about this? is it benign or malign, should I remove it? Don't know where it came from.

Forum Editor 01:06 13 Feb 07

click here for more information.

terryf 01:36 13 Feb 07

Ok, its harmless but can I/should I remove it because obviously it is using resources, it is not a function that I wish to use, it appears to have been introduced by stealth, when and how I don't know.

terryf 20:25 13 Feb 07

^

Totally-braindead 20:31 13 Feb 07

I presume its part of the Windows Update process. If the program isn't working all the time then it will be using no resources other than a tiny bit of drive space.
If it is a windows update then it should be removeable in add/remove programs if you tick show windows updates.

terryf 20:35 13 Feb 07

It appears to be a component of M'soft .NET Framework 3.0 (another stealthy update) and I don't want to remove that in case it causes system not to work. B***dy Microsoft, change for change sake.

Totally-braindead 20:42 13 Feb 07

Well I just lost my use of IE7 for half an hour due to the updates changing my IE and my firewall not identifying it. Fortunatly I had Firefox on the PC as well and it worked ok not being altered and one of the nice chaps in the helproom told me what was wrong.
If I hadn't had Firefox installed as well I would have been lost.
So for what its worth I agree with your sentiments.
Because of this I have decided to turn auto updates off and choose what I want to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009