New computer - transfer programs?

lindyloo4 12:43 16 Oct 04

I have just upgraded my old computer which came with some pre-installed programs such as Word. Is there any way I can copy these programs or all the data on my current hard drive to the new computer?
My old system was ME with a 20GB hard drive the new one is XP with a 160GB HD.
If it is possible please tell me in simple english.

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 12:46 16 Oct 04

You cannot transfer programs like Word and so on. When they are installed they scatter files all over the hard drive and make changes to the registry.

You can get your documents and settings off though click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:52 16 Oct 04

Fit 20G HDD as slave in new computer take a disk image and copy to a new partion on your 160G drive.
Hard Disk Back UP:-
XXCopy click here

Or leave 20G disk in new comp without copying.

Word etc will be entered in registry in ME I don't think you could run from XP without re-installing.

By making the system dual boot either run start from XP or ME as required. you could use your pre installed software. You would need to update the motherboard / graphics drivers in the ME system for your new computer.

Stuartli 13:11 16 Oct 04

XP's Files and Transfer Settings Wizard (from System Tools) may help you (see Help and Support for guidance).

lindyloo4 14:45 16 Oct 04

Thanks, will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…