//some 3rd party need geo

New Computer - Should I re-format

Blott 21:26 17 Mar 05

I have just purchased a new PC - it is sitting here in it's brand new box and I have a feeling that it is quietly chuckling to itself about the forthcoming setting up procedures.

But, before I unpack it - I have three major problems.

First one is the Inland Revenue. This has nothing to do with the new computer, and nothing to do with this forum, but I'd just like to put in on record as a problem.

Next two are the "pre-installed" programmes - AOL and NORTON.
AOL I don't need.

NORTON anti- virus is something I have had to battle with on various computers over some years and trying to unistall / getting rid of it has been the subject of many nighmares.

And so - my first thought is to take this brand new machine from it's box to my local friendly computer shop and have them wipe the whole lot, and just reinstall the OS (Win XP Home)so that I can then install the software that I want to have.

Would this be a good idea ?
Any pitfallsI might have missed ?

Best regards to all.
Blott

HXP 21:36 17 Mar 05

If it is brand new then I would try and uninstall the apps first before reformatting.

Having said that I have had Norton on my machine for a while and it hasn't caused any problems and you definately need antivirus software & a firewall if you are going on to the net.

If you do decide to reformat you will need all the drivers etc

I think on a new machine that reformatting is an idea but I suspect that it may result in a few tricky warranty issues if you have problems ?

HXP

kaled 22:30 17 Mar 05

Reformat should be a final solution surely. Why not take it out of its box, set it up and uninstall Norton and AOL. I know how you feel about Norton - it crashed my computer and totally messed up a few files but I managed to sort out the problems without a reformat. And I know very little about computers. So go on - get that box open. And happy computing!

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:37 17 Mar 05

you will find that when you set up your PC these two apps will not be installed. You will have to install the executable files yourself.

If you don't, you don't need to worry.

Also, I'm unsure of what you mean. Do you actually have a full XP disc or is a "recovery" disc. If it is the latter then when reinstalled it will put Norton and AOL right back where they are.

HTH

Tas

Jak_1 22:44 17 Mar 05

Switch on, look at what's there. You do not have to use AOL, uninstall it. You should have no problems at all.

Install the software for your own isp and that will be fine. I moved from Win ME to XP-Home last year when I got a new pc with pre-installed software and have not had any probs appart from self inflicred, lol.

You will find after a day or so that XP is very user friendly so use without fear.

byfordr 22:47 17 Mar 05

Never had any problems with Norton myself. If you have all the disks you need to reinstall and really want to be rid of AOL etc then I guess its as good as time as any.

At the very least chuck the drivers onto a disk.

Then the current microshaft updates (may as well be safe when you get onto the net.

Source your next a/v and firewall (if you are not going to use Norton) get the updates.

Would save the bread and do the job yourself. No point paying for a relatively easy job. Post for advice. There are many sages here...

Could be a good point to install a additional hard drive, keeping the old one intact in case of problems, formatting when the new one is up and running?

R

Jak_1 22:54 17 Mar 05

I would say as it is a new pc there is little to be gain, if anything, by re-formatting

EdFrench 23:23 17 Mar 05

If Norton is installed when you first boot up, and you really don't want it, go to the Norton website and download the Norton Cleaninstall applet.
They know all about the uninstall problems and have made available a small prog which will clear all registry entries (This is the problem with the uninstall procedure.)
It beats trawling through the registry deleting all Norton keys and values.

ventanas 08:52 18 Mar 05

Contrary to what everyone else has said I always reformat and reinstall every new pc I get, whether its a single purchase, or a block of twenty or more. This gets rid of all the vendors branded dross, and gives a clean install of what I want, not what the vendor wants to give me.

I have also found that the machines are more stable. New machines often have just a "ghosted" image installed, which is not always foolproof.

Time consuming, but I think its worth it. Also I never buy machines that come with those useless recovery discs, or that equally useless hidden partition. I always insist on a full XP cd.

961 09:54 18 Mar 05

Surely if this is brand new then take it out of the box and see if it works ok for a week or so. If it does you can start to fiddle then and I agree that removing Norton and AOL may be the first things to do. But if it all goes pear shaped and you have already re-formatted then in my book that is exactly where the manufacturer will hang his hook when he seeks to blame you rather than accepting it's his fault

lisa02 10:06 18 Mar 05

Thats exactly what we did with our new PC, the store that built had a load of garbage on the system so I wiped it out and put XP back on the first day I got it.

Reformatting and installing the OS is easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…