New computer setup

cabbieman 21:48 04 May 04

I am going to buy a new computer very soon and would like to know if there's anything I should ensure is loaded to protect it when I first go online.Don't know the exact specs yet but it will be something like...
120gb hard drive
512mb ram
15" tft
etc etc etc
I will be running broadband and just wanted to make sure I'm protected as soon as I go online.Do they usually come with a virus programme already installed or do I need to make sure one is loaded.Anything else anybody thinks would be a sensible precaution would be appreciated.

rickimalone 21:50 04 May 04

FIREWALL AND ANTIVIRUS is what you need I just got this for friend at this price no reason why your new machine should'nt be starting with it:click here

rickimalone 21:51 04 May 04

SORRY HERE:click here

cabbieman 21:55 04 May 04

Thanks, as soon as Iv'e resolved my links problem (scvhost exe)I'll click on "click here" to see what you suggest.

woodchip 21:57 04 May 04

As a start you should have a free Firewall in XP and some computers have short term Anti-Virus loaded check withe salesman that’s what they are paid for

Gongoozler 21:57 04 May 04

Antivirus is essential. Firewall is highly desirable. Adware protection is also almost essential. If you don't want to pay good money, excellent free downloads are available.

Antivirus - AVG from Grisoft click here

Firewall - ZoneAlarm click here

Adware removal - Adaware from Lavasoft click here

rickimalone 22:20 04 May 04

The link is for Norton Internet Security 2004 OEM for £19.99 including vat and delivery.

cabbieman 22:25 04 May 04

thanks rickmalone

byfordr 22:28 04 May 04

Download the blaster and sasser patchs onto a disk before you connect the new computer...may be worth sending off to microshaft for the update disk in advance

R

rickimalone 22:30 04 May 04

No problem nothing worse than getting a nice new machine infected.......

Regards to the ebay seller i've been using him for over a year so buy with confidence check his feedback he has sold thousands of them, beats paying £50 at PC WORLD... and he is very quick at getting your goods to you......

Also dont worry about lack of manual its all on the website and the program sets it's self up automatic.......

byfordr 00:17 05 May 04

If not click here is pretty good for norton...just ordered some more bits at the weekend.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…