New Computer Purchase with Linux installed.

spuds 17:42 28 Jun 05

I have been offered a brand new computer system with Linux installed [v9.2 which can be updated to latest version 10], at a very good price.

Question: Knowing nothing about Linux [so far]what are the pros and cons for this programme.Or should I consider an extra possible cost, and install of Windows from the onset.

mattyc_92 17:44 28 Jun 05

Don't really use Linux, but it is cheaper than Windows.

However, it doesn't (well didn't for me) reconise the "*.exe" file format so most windows programs wont run on this operating system (I think you can buy a "powerpack" to allow Linux to reconise the "*.exe" file format, but not sure)

woodchip 17:49 28 Jun 05

More often than not you cannot use Windows software. But if this is mainly for Office you cannot beat it. Contains all the software you should need without loading any

alan227 18:28 28 Jun 05

If you are used to windows, I suggest you download and burn yourself a Linux live disk (Knoppix is a good one) and see how you get on with it as Linux is a bit of a culture shock for beginners to linux
If you find you like the live CD then go for it, and if you do not enjoy Linux you can always buy a copy of Windows and dual boot.

Completealias 20:09 28 Jun 05

Am looking into linux myself at the moment it looks like a pretty steep learning curve xandros seems to be the most windows user friendly from what i can tell and contains a program in the deluxe version know as crossover office which lets you use windows apps in linux.

You may want dual boot the system or you may just want to buy a windows disk and install that from sratch when you get the machine

djbenny 20:13 28 Jun 05

for linux you can have a windows emulator for windows software its called "wine", i think it can be installed on the newer versions of linux...but linux is gerally harder to configure for both hardware and software

octal 22:31 28 Jun 05

I have been running Linux Xandros for the last year.

Advantages:

Very stable, any crashes happen with applications which require just restarting the application, very rarely problems with the Kernel. Virus are rare, Trojans and spyware are are almost impossible to implement because permissions needs to be granted for any program to write to the Kernel. The operating system can be obtained for free, if a system is purchased it comes bundled with all the software ready for use by the average user. The footprint is small and can be run on low spec machines. A large number of Windows applications can be run, including MS Office and Windows 98SE. System maintenance is low, no FDISC or DEFRAG needed.

Disadvantages:

Support for some hardware can be difficult e.g. Winmodems and some USB devices. Printer drivers can be difficult to obtain for certain makes of printer. Programs take longer to load, because programs start from 'cold'. Programs can be difficult to install, some understanding of the command line codes are required. A lot of Windows programs won't work e.g. games, even in Crossover. Games for Linux are limited (at the moment). A long learning curve is required to understand the system. Programs are not interdependent like they are in Windows, I've put this as a disadvantage because this is part of the reason programs are slow to start in Linux as against Windows, on the other hand there is less security risk without the interdependencies, I know which I would rather have.

I've tried to be objective which is difficult because I'm a great fan of Linux, also these are personal views which will not be in agreement with others.

spuds 23:18 28 Jun 05

Thanks folks- Some points worth considering, especially about the learning curve. Looks like I may seriously consider that bargain buy,just for the experience.

I will tick as resolved, but please add further, especially if you have a tutorial link for Mandrake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…