new computer with no operating system installed...

billieinspain 13:26 06 Dec 06

will some kind,clever person be able to help me please?
I have purchased a new computer and have set it all up....but now....

1. the monitor says no signal input...check video cable and then goes into stand by mode.

2. there is no operating system installed...I have the windows xp disc but can´t do anything because i need the monitor working to see what is going on....

any help will be much appreciated....thanks

Diodorus Siculus 13:37 06 Dec 06

Check that the graphics card did not become dislodged during transit.

Do you get any beeps when you power up?

billieinspain 13:42 06 Dec 06

when I power up there is one faint beep sound...what does that mean?

Diodorus Siculus 13:47 06 Dec 06

One short beep usually means all is ok...

Did you check the card is correctly installed? Be sure to power off PC first and unplug from mains.

Do you have another monitor you can try?

Technotiger 13:47 06 Dec 06

Hi, a single beep is a good sign! Could you give us a bit more info regarding the make-up of your new pc.

Diemmess 13:49 06 Dec 06

If you bought locally and are nervous about opening the box, then take it back and let them show it works.

Otherwise follow Diodorus Siculus' advice. I was summoned by a friend in identical circumstances. The video card had just slipped out a shade from its proper position.

Technotiger 13:49 06 Dec 06

Does it have a Graphics card or on-board Graphics?

billieinspain 13:57 06 Dec 06

I haven´t checked the card is installed correctly yet...I have tried my old monitor and it says the same no signal. the computer is a spanish make (ummmmm!)

it has a intel pentium d processor,foxconn motherboard..sorry..but i really don´t know much about all inside workings of computers...

I am just presuming that all the necessary hardware and stuff is already installed and that I just need to connect keyboard, monitor and install windows xp...but guess its not that easy....have just noticed a dent in the back panel near the bottom of the hard drive box thingy...will check it out...
in the meantime do u have any other suggestions?
thanks

Diodorus Siculus 14:00 06 Dec 06

Checking the positioning of the graphics card should be first on your list. Just ensure it is pressed in correctly.

Technotiger 14:00 06 Dec 06

A small dent as described should not be any problem. But the inside connections need to be properly checked by someone who knows what they are doing.

Cheers.

billieinspain 14:01 06 Dec 06

thank you Diemmess..unfortunately my spanish is not that good and neither is the english spoken by the shop people...that is why I am asking for help here first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant