New computer from Mesh. Partition or not?

Colinp 19:01 28 Mar 05

I should be getting a new computer delivered at the end of the week with a 300Gb HDD. I am wondering whether I should or shouldn't partition said HDD. What are your thoughts about this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 28 Mar 05

No point whatsoever with XP and modern computers. Personally I would buy an external HD as a backup in case of disaster. This will be of much more use than partitioning.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:12 28 Mar 05

click here previous discussion.

Colinp 19:43 28 Mar 05

An interesting debate. I am coming down on the side of not partitioning.

Any more thoughts anyone?

Rigga 20:13 28 Mar 05

Personally speaking l like to keep everything nice and tidy.

So I Have

C: drive for Operating system

D: drive for my data

E: drive for all program installs

F: drive for backups of installation exe's that iv;e downloaded.

G: drive as a separate swap partition only containing the windows swap file.

H: drive for free storage TV recordings etc.. and temporary files.

Probably overkill, but for me personally it's much easier for me to find the files I want with this set-up. and I live by..

A Place for everything, and everything in it's place!

At the end of the day I thing it's mostly to do with personal preference. As GANDALF <|:-)> says, modern computers are fairly quick, and unless you have separate physical drives then there's no performance benefit.

And I also agree with G again, must be a first, agree with G twice in one thread :), get a operate, internal or external drive for backups!!

Rigga 20:19 28 Mar 05

"get a operate, internal" oops.. should read "get a separate, internal"

Colinp 21:42 28 Mar 05

As you say, that is overkill. I think you can still keep things nice and tidy on just the one partition as long as you are meticulous about it. Your drives C and D, I can go along with, so as long as the HDD does not go belly up, you can format C drive if you need to, leaving data intact.

But there again, regular backups should be employed so you dont need the seperate D drive!

Jak_1 22:01 28 Mar 05

I work on the theory of chaos, it's all in one partition. Everything I want to keep is backed up to another hdd in a usb caddy.
I would find it a pain to keep chaging drives just to retrieve something.

I also have a slave drive as a main backup should a file become corrupted for some reason. I do a backup of new stuff every week from the slave.

Colinp 10:07 31 Mar 05

It looks like one big partition then, unless someone can prove otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…