New Computer- Help!

Katstar 16:32 07 Mar 05

Please help! I am buying a new computer with a £1000-1200 budget (falling in between the pc advisor top 10 charts) and need advice. I am no computer expert, but have narrowed it down to two. One is an Advent (courtesy of pcworld), and the other is a Matrix premier plus from Mesh. The Advent has a Pentium 4 550 Processor(3.4GHz clock-speed), 1GB memory and 400GB hard drive; whilst the Mesh Matrix has AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor, 1GB memory and 300GB hard drive.
Having only just a read a lot of literature recently, I don't know anything about reputation, etc. Is Advent a decent make (it seems suspicious only the Dixon group stock it), and what should I be watching out for with Mesh? Any comments re. Warranties would also be appreciated.
Thank you!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:47 07 Mar 05

Out of those two I would opt for Mesh with the Athlon processor. I have heard more good reports of Mesh than Advent and am a fan of Athlon processors compared to pentiums. The hard drive size I would not worry about as 300 is very large anyway - unless you expect to need it - depends what sort of storage you foresee needing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 07 Mar 05

64 bit is probably the future, although not much use at present. If the PC is going to last for the next 3 years go for the Athlon.

Jeffers22 17:42 07 Mar 05

It's not suspicious. It's their own brand. The big advantage to buying from Dixons is that you can take it back into the store if you have a problem. With Mesh it's a different story. I would only ever suggest on line PC purchase if you are confident that you will be able to cope when things go wrong. Having said that, I too am a fan of AMD as I think they give much better value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant