New computer- Critical Updates

Sapins 08:16 03 Jun 06

Next Wednesday I am going to help a friend set up his new computer. He is on dial-up and the critical updates will take some time to download. As I have a broadband connection can I download the updates to a flash drive and install them for him before he goes online or is it not worth doing?

howard63 08:21 03 Jun 06

not sure but could you not bring his pc to your place and do the updating using your link.

Sapins 08:35 03 Jun 06

I'm not sure I could do this either.

skidzy 08:56 03 Jun 06

Sapins.....If im right in saying he will need the MS validation tool if running a legit windows,this will allow the critical updates.

Just an idea,if does not have sp2... you could save a lot of time by buying or downloading a copy of sp2.

If he does have sp2..forget what i said Lol :-)

If this link still works you can download the sp2 pack,a little out of date im afraid,but may save you some time if you copy it to your flash drive. click here

Hope this helps.

Thalmus 08:59 03 Jun 06
  ICF 09:08 03 Jun 06
  Sapins 09:47 03 Jun 06

skidzy, he has just bought the computer from Dell so It should have SP" on already, in any case I have it on a Microsoft CD.

Thalmus, your link will be very useful.

ICF, the Autosave site is not available at the moment, work in progress.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins.

brundle 09:57 03 Jun 06

Autopatcher site has said `work in progress` for months, the program is available and being updated.
You need Apr06 Full or Lite Edition and the May update click here

Taff™ 10:20 03 Jun 06

I set up a Dell Laptop last week for a friend who hasn`t got broadband. SP2 will definately be pre-installed but there were 30 Critical & 9 software updates to download. If I remember rightly the critical downloads were 47 Mb which took about 30 minutes on BB. I reckon it will take a dial up connection 4-5 hours so best set it to work on cheap evening rates!

The obvious answer is to use your BB Connection if you can because you`ll also have to Upgrade Adobe Reader to version 7 (Dell still ship v6) then there`s any antispyware, CCleaner etc - all of which you could burn to disc of course.

Sapins 21:47 03 Jun 06

brundle, got the Lite Edition ok, cannot get to the May update! I will just use the "Lite" edition and get the remaining critical updates when on line with the new computer.

Taff™, I'm on 8MB and it has just taken 4 minutes to download the 149MB of Autopatcher Lite? I have the necessary anti spyware programmes on a flash drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac