New computer crashes and locks

PatsyR 09:16 26 Mar 04

My multivision computer, yes no warranty due to liquidation, keeps crashing and refusing to start apart from CD. I have had it looked at and the report is there is nothing wrong with it. It was suggested that there may be a clash with my internet modems. I have one installed and a BT broadband modem. Can anyone help as to how I go about getting over this problem.

Diemmess 09:28 26 Mar 04

Two installed modems sound like a recipe for interference ........... Presumably the fault has developed recently, so stating the obvious, can you associate some change you made with the start of the trouble?

temp003 09:41 26 Mar 04

What operating system do you use, and what error messages do you get when the computer crashes or refuses to start?

The other modem, is it a 56K dial-up modem? If so, it shouldn't be a problem unless there's a conflict.

Have your problems appeared shortly after you installed the broadband modem?

Lozzy 09:46 26 Mar 04

There will only be a conflict with the modems if your trying to connect to the Internet by both. If your using the internal modem for other uses other than the internet then there should be no conflict. If thats the case and your using Windows XP home or Pro try this, insert the XP CD then click exit when the wizard starts, click start>>run then type sfc /scannow then hit OK. That will put right any corruptions or missing system files.

Note the space between the sfc and /

PatsyR 13:02 31 Mar 04

Took all on board and set it up again with only mouse, keyboard and moniter. Message says: Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disc. Did this inserting Windows XP repair original set up and got the message No Hard Disc Drives Installed in my Computer. Any idea where I go from here?

roy 15:41 31 Mar 04

Are you sure that your ribbon lead connections for your harddrive are well pushed home? I know this may sound like an obvious question but I have known a partially home connection cause a problem like this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…