New computer build not working

Hi all

I have just built a new computer, it is a syntax motherboard with a AMD 1.3 G processor. The problem is that it just won't do anything. Upon startup all that happens is the fan on the heatsink runs and that is it no POST beep, no boot up screens, nothing.

This is my first atempt at a build so I may be doing something stupid, but I am sure that the procesor is properly plugged in, the ATX connector is properly in, the power switch is on the right pins and the case speaker is plugged in so I would hear the POST beep if it were there. I have put a stick of 256mb SDRAM in it as well.

If the motherboard or processer is duff how can I establish which is at fault, or is there some other explanation?

mike

SGT BARNES 21:35 21 Oct 03

does everything else power up ie: hdd's graphics card etc.

zanwalk 21:35 21 Oct 03

Are you sure that the case speaker is plugged in correctly? That would be the first thing to check, if it is, carefully recheck all connections as per the motherboard manual, as this is the most likely cause of your problem. Motherboard/processor duds are rare, but do occur occasionally.

Rich 21:39 21 Oct 03

Remove the motherboard and check that there is not an extra sucuring pillar causing a short circuit on the circuit board tracks. Some cases come with pillars which need to be removed or added depending on size of MB. Also check your graphic card. If it is an AGP. Up to and including AGP X4 the voltage is 3.3 volts (X4 also could be 3.3 or 1.5 volts) X8 are always 1.5 volts. Have you used an older type AGP card.

woodchip 21:47 21 Oct 03

Remove all cards except Graphics, have just on bank of memory, No drives other than Floppy disc. disconnect them all as they are not needed to get to bios as that is the first place you go when you start a new computer. Double check all the jumpers and dip switches on the motherboard are set correctly, for the CPU

woodchip 21:49 21 Oct 03

Remove all cards except Graphics, have just one bank of memory, No drives other than Floppy disc. disconnect them all as they are not needed to get to bios as that is the first place you go when you start a new computer. Double check all the jumpers and dip switches on the motherboard are set correctly, for the CPU. you could clear the CMOS settings with a switch if there is one or remove the motherboard battery and leave for a short while

Hi

Have tried with all drives disconected, have taken motherboard out of case laid on on a piece of cardboard to eliminate a short to the case. i have used the graphics card from my old pc so could be that but surely I would still get the POST beep if that were the case?

Ther is a jumper to clear the CMOS will give it a try

Have cleared CMOS still nothing

©®@$ђ 22:20 21 Oct 03

are the jumper settings correct

I have rechecked all jumpers and conectors I am sure they are correct. There is no activity from anything hd dvd floppy and monitor stays in sleep mode.

woodchip 22:24 21 Oct 03

Lift the CPU leaver and make sure the CPU is full in then press the leaver back down. if you have two sticks of ram try changing them just have one in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…