new computer for broadband

Alright, I know this is basic stuff but as someone I know is about to buy a computer and wants Broadband should she insist on usb2.0 ports and what sort of ram is recommended?
any help gratefully received

mgmcc 16:49 16 Mar 04

It depends on the broadband. With cable, it is preferable to use an ethernet connection rather than USB. In any event, USB 1 running at 12Mbps is more than fast enough for broadband running at a very much slower 512kbps or 1Mbps.

In terms of RAM, Windows XP should have a minimum of 256MB anyway.

JerryJay 16:58 16 Mar 04

for inernet browering and some word proceessing, a £200 base units plus a monitor will do the trick. As for monitor, all depend on what her like or how much she wants to pay, a good 15" LCD monitor can be found for about £200, any case, she should not spend more than £500 in total for internet connection and some word processing. If CRT (big bad monitor) is accetable, then total £300 is enough, check out meshcomputers click here or click here to see what on offer.

In my view, a lot of people unnecessarily spend a lot of money (over £1000) and get a PC which they are never going to us it potential.

JerryJay 17:08 16 Mar 04

To prove my point, here is what £500 can buy.
My Performa 5000 PC System from Wadford click here plus a 15" LCD monitor click here cost £468. For £574, get My Performa 5100 Pro PC System plus LCD monitor

thanks for all that, what's this about DDR or SDR ram? Is thgere a new and faster ram about to be unleashed?

JerryJay 17:13 16 Mar 04

All Emachine package from pcworld will do nicely, here is one with 15" LCD monitor: click here

emachine was reviewed by PCAdvisor and didn't shine too bright.

JerryJay 17:24 16 Mar 04

All depend on what you need PC for? If you do not need it for some latest graphics intensive games and real-time video editing, then you never going to use emachine's full potential. This is for performance, as for otherthing such as reliability and tech support, I do not know.

thanks for all the help will pass on your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…