New computer base Old XP install.

zemdarin 12:27 03 Sep 07

I have recently ordered a new base computer and have a retail windows XP disk which I bought from Ebay supposedly not used. I did have to phone as I couldn't validate it and they gave me a set of new numbers.

The question is will I now be able to transfer this to the new base unit and get it validated again. My old M/B is dying with PCI slot 3 not working and it takes me 5 or 6 times switching on and off before it will boot in the morning now.

ambra4 12:41 03 Sep 07

"5 or 6 times switching on"

may not be your motnerboard but your hard drive trying to start up

Run some check on the hard drive

zemdarin 12:49 03 Sep 07

Well I do have two hard drives and this 120 GB is quite new but it happens whichever hard drive I make the master. It works fine all day as long as I don't turn it off. I know the M/B has a non working No3 PCI slot. I have made all other checks such as taking everything out reinstalling one at a time changing the RAM around and only using one stick. The only thing I haven't tried is a new reset switch.

Trackrat 12:51 03 Sep 07

Yes you will be able to transfer it to another computer provided you wipe it of the origonal, as it can only be installed on one computer at a time.
You may need to phone to activate.

zemdarin 13:51 03 Sep 07

Thanks trackrat I do have the original XP recovery disk for the original H/D which isn't being used at the moment. I am using the one I bought off of Ebay which is installed on the larger of my H/D. This is the one I want to put on my new base when it comes. It isn't the copy that will be on my old computer and that is only if it hasn't completely packed up by then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…