New Computer Antivirus

Justabitbaffled 09:35 09 Feb 04

Alas I have to upgrade my machine to Windows XP, so a new Mesh machine is on the way(the existing one has given three years of solid performance so for me anyway is a natural choice).

Apparently I need to register the copy of XP, so in so doing I will have to connect to the internet.

The question is will the machine be vulnerable to attack from cyber bandits during this time (I have a broadband connection which seems to attract them like flies around ****) or will I be able to install (existing) Norton Internet Security first?

Secondly will I have to "activate" my existing ISP account before I install the antivirus software?

Many thanks

Justabitbaffled

Jester2K 09:38 09 Feb 04

XP can activated over the phone - you get a choice and its simple.

You can install any software you want before activating as you have 30 days to activate.

I would get the MS Blaster patch first and copy to the new PC via floppy disk and install.

Install the Norton IS and Anti virus then activate your Internet connection. Immediately update Norton and the AV and then activate if you haven't already.

Jester2K 09:40 09 Feb 04

This click here is the MS Blaster patch.

spuds 11:36 09 Feb 04

I agree with Jester2K suggestions. I recently had a major upgrade with my computer.The techie downloaded some drivers and virus's, which I found on re-installing my protection software.

Regarding registering XP, it will keep reminding you, and it will still work after the 30 days, but with slight problems. Phone registeration is a very simple automated voice process.

MESH Support 09:04 10 Feb 04

Please don't confuse registering with activating.

Activating must be completed before the 30 day period is up. After this you will be presented with the option to activate or shut down the machine.

Registering tends to be the registration of your details where you volunteer the information that Microsoft are not allowed to take during activation, e.g. who you are, what your email address is. etc

You are best activating as soon as you are able and if you have any doubts, use the telephone method. However, bear in mind that in today's world, you will have to connect to the internet sometime. Best to install what protection you have and take the plunge.

MESH Support 09:05 10 Feb 04

Davey

Mesh Support

Justabitbaffled 06:48 11 Feb 04

A question for Mesh Support; will they stick on the Blaster Worm Path before the machine is dispatched?

Justabitbaffled

Jester2K 07:18 11 Feb 04

Who knows. Download it and save to floppy before you get it and install just in case.

Justabitbaffled 07:24 11 Feb 04

If by chance it is already installed will installing it again have any ill effects?

Jester2K 07:30 11 Feb 04

Nope. I've reinstalled it 3 times due to false alarms telling me the patch is not installed.

Justabitbaffled 07:35 11 Feb 04

Thanks Jester

I have downloded it as suggested

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…