Hi folks
I'm considering buying a new PC
i Have a Dell Dimension 2300 over 10 years old:

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 423MB used, 2038MB available
Running: Windows XP

My question is will a new PC significantly speed up web surfing/ multi tasking?

Will i be able to transfer any of the memory to a new PC.(i upgraded the memory aprox 1 year ago. i believe the slots are now full)

What should i be looking for when considering a new PC?

Cheers for any help

LastChip 13:17 10 Aug 09

Will it speed up web surfing? Probably not. The speed at which you access the web is generally not determined by your computer, but by the speed of connection that your ISP provides AND the speed at which the particular server you are connecting to, can deliver the data.

Will it speed up multi tasking? Very likely yes. Almost all new computers now are multi core and many are 64 bit systems. If you have 64 bit capable programs, you will certainly see a better performance.

Will I be able to transfer memory? It's highly unlikely your memory in a ten year old computer is compatible with a new machine.

What should I be looking for? Not trying to be flippant, but how long is a piece of string? It primarily depends on your budget. Even an entry level machine now provides perfectly acceptable performance. But if I were you, assuming you wish to use Windows, I'd wait for Windows 7.

Better still (though I accept unlikely), you could like me use Linux and discover what true performance really is!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos