New computer with 40GB+ already on hard drive

BradBourbon 10:26 17 Apr 09

I have bought a new ACER Desktop it has 120GB of storage split into 2 x 60GB (C & D drive). The C drive is already nearly full as it already had about 40GB of stuff, which i guess is mainly preloaded rubbisg and games etc. It also has an ACER Empowering Technology and security thingy, which i dont think it needs. I run Vista Home Premium and have upgraded to 4GB of RAM. I have Norton 360 and SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes. Can anyone give me some guidance as to what is safe to get rid of. thanks

iscanut2 10:28 17 Apr 09

40Gb seems a lot even with the OS and a few bits of rubbish. Perhaps a short list of what is on the drive would help us. I am not sure about the Acer program but I am sure other Acer users will be able to help.

Terry Brown 14:44 17 Apr 09

I'm guessing that there is a 'restore to manufacture' file on your harddrive, which should be used to create a DVD boot backup.
This can take quite a bit of space.
Terry

BradBourbon 14:58 17 Apr 09

Can I make the back up disk and then delete the file

Pineman100 15:44 17 Apr 09

It depends whether the recovery disk creation facility that Acer provided creates a full Windows recovery disk, or simply a disk whose function is to access a hidden recovery sector on your hard disk.

You need to check on this.

If it creates a full Windows recovery disk, then you should be able to delete the file after you've created the disk. But don't do so unless you're sure!

Didn't the computer come with information about this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…