new components?

teknikz 22:38 11 Apr 07

i have a fairly okay-ish pc.....amd athlon 2000+, gigabyte motherboard, 512 ram, 256mb nvidia graphics card.....would it be cheaper to buy better parts like new mb and processor or a new pc?

ive heard if i buy new mb and processor id need new memory and graphics card?

woodchip 22:48 11 Apr 07

It depends what you want to use the PC for. Plus why do you want to upgrade it? Just so it's a bit faster. You will not notice If letter writing etc

teknikz 22:50 11 Apr 07

i spend a lot of time on my pc, with quite a few programmes and pages open at 1 time, applications dont open fast at all

woodchip 22:58 11 Apr 07

Then you should be looking at a Dual CPU core Motherboard and cpu. You may need newer Memory. If you Hard Drives are EIDE the mobo needs to accommodate that unless you intended getting Sata drives. Also as you say you may need a new Graphics card, if it does not have onboard Graphics

teknikz 23:01 11 Apr 07

gonna cost a fair bit to replace then? cheaper to buy 1 ready made?

woodchip 23:02 11 Apr 07

could be

woodchip 23:04 11 Apr 07

Problem then is you would most likely finish up with Vista OS and there is not many drivers for that so your Hardware like printers and some software etc may be become obsolete

woodchip 23:10 11 Apr 07

It's a Case of which way to jump

teknikz 23:16 11 Apr 07

too right it is.....might just get a refurbished unit from work with a good spec for about 180 quid.....would save money doing that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…