New comp XP Corrupt

PUNKA 16:46 05 Apr 05

Hi my nephew has a new PC after starting it up message says that the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up CD ROM
select r at the first screen to start repair.
Only problem is it is pre installed and he does not have backup disk.
Any help apreciated.

billyliv 17:04 05 Apr 05

Hi, Take it back. Cheers, Bill

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 05 Apr 05

If its new then return it and ask for the back up disks.

download boot disks from click here

extract system from c:\i386 and copy to c:\windows\system32\config\

handful 17:52 05 Apr 05

There is a way from recovering from this problem by going into recovery console and replacing the corrupt system 32 files (Let me know if you want it and I'll have a look for it later but it doesn't always work believe me) My advice would be take it back or you may be cursed like I was. Numerous occasions like yours which also resulted in loads of reformats and endless hours of setting up and reinstalling and personalising programmes. After 2 years of hassle and expense buying an external hd and Norton Ghost to help recover, I did resolve it almost by accident with a bios update. (more by luck than judgement)I wouldn't advocate doing that on a brand new machine though.

VoG II 17:55 05 Apr 05
  jbp1982 18:13 05 Apr 05

Typed half a post and it dissappeared....hmmmm. Sorry if it comes up.

I wouldn't be bothered, take it to the shop, let them deal with and get XP/backup/restore disks off them.

But if ya don't wanna do that follow the advice of the those guys ^

Makes me angry that firms try to penny pinch by not giving these out!

Kind Regards

JBP

PUNKA 16:54 06 Apr 05

Thanks to all. I went to Fruitbats site and for a small fee was able to d/load the necessary files/applications to sort it, did a clean install and away we go.

handful 17:47 06 Apr 05

Glad you got it sorted but if it happens again I would definitely take it back. In my experience if you are succeptible to this problem it has a nasty habit of happening again:-( fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…