new comp good old one bad

tusk 21:46 PM 08 Mar 11

okay heres one to solve just had bt infinity set up at home speed test show the following desktop with b/g rated wireless adaptor 13.2 old laptop with mini adaptor 13.2 new laptop with n rated adaptor 39.7 all are wireless the first 2 run xp the third win 7 why the differencesurely all should be able to attain the higher speed

mgmcc 22:23 PM 08 Mar 11

What are these speeds supposed to be?

- Megabits or Megabytes?
- Wireless connection speed between adapter and router?
- Internet download speeds?

tusk 22:53 PM 08 Mar 11

which ever is the bigger. we checked the speeds while the bt engineer was here he was happy with the 39.7 but surpised haow slow the other 2 were but had no answer

Ashrich 00:51 AM 09 Mar 11

I think a wireless G ( 54mb/s ) connection would struggle to put through a nearly 40mb/s signal , the 54 number is theoretical , actual throughput would be considerably lower , roughly a third to half of the connection speed .

A couple of cheap " N " adapters might do the trick , they can receive and transmit much quicker .

Ashley

tusk 05:20 AM 09 Mar 11

while it would seem to make sense as in up grade to n rated adaptors the engineer was saying that he had upgraded many houses but had never seen such a poor response and to find 2 in the same house was a bit strange . which leads me to think that perhaps as i am the person who has "looked after" these 2 slow machines perhaps it is something i have done as opposed to the fast one being new and not under my control

Ashrich 23:55 PM 09 Mar 11

As I said , a 54mb/s connection to a router will never achieve a near 40mb/s throughput , after overheads and network collisions you would get about half to a third , the fact you are getting 13ish from similar machines shows that older hardware although efficient can't keep up with the faster pace of modern kit .

What make of wireless adapters are the two older machines using ?

Ashley

tusk 15:13 PM 10 Mar 11

okay guys thanks all for your words have sorted it by buying an n rated adaptor runs like a dream at 34mb on an old xp

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites