New comp and a 3/4MB increase in download speed

gazzaho 18:33 17 Jul 08

I used to have an old Pentium 4 desktop with a fully updated XP installed and 1GB ram, the maximum download speed I could achieve with Virgin after their recent upgrade was between 5MB and 6MB. I then bought a new Quad core system with Vista Home Premium installed and 4GB ram, now all of a sudden I can download at between 9MB and 10MB.

All the tests I done where using the same web based test pages for both machines, any idea why there should be so big a speed difference, considering I'm using the same router and modem I always used? Is it just the better spec system or more ram instqalled? Has anyone any ideas on this?

had the exact same reaction with my dell pc winxp and my sony vaio laptop with dual core the speed difference is to with the processors we have inside of our machines.

gazzaho 10:58 18 Jul 08

It's funny you should say that as I also had my Toshiba notebook, which is a dual core model plugged into the router and I did notice a difference when downloading large files with it as opposed to the desktop machine, they seemed to download faster. I put it down to peak/off peak times when it happened though! I just never realised until I got the new machine that there was a significant difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…