New CDRW will not read media

Rickys Mate 16:21 14 Mar 04

I installed a new Liteon 52327S CD-RW and the system recognises the drive but it will not read any discs I put in the drive. However, if I restart the PC with the disc that came with the drive in the CDRW, the drive works quite happily.

Is there any software on the disc? It contains a dos driver(W98), Nero Express/InCD, a manual and adobe acrobat reader but nothing else it seems. There must be something on it though!!

Any ideas anyone?

(System; PB iMedia5106, WinXP.)

Gongoozler 17:57 14 Mar 04

A cd-rw doesn't need any software to read disks. The supplied software (Nero Express) is only needed for writing. Is the drive listed in My Computer. If it is, then I can't see any reason why it cant't read the disks you put in it. The most common problem is a faulty or incorrectly fitted cable, but you say that it reads the disk if you boott the computer with the supplied disk in the drive, so I'm baffled. Is it possibly that it isn't reading a disk written on another machine but is ok on commercially made disks?

Rickys Mate 18:48 14 Mar 04

Thanks Gongoozler but it won't read any disc. I have just noticed that it can see the spaced used and the free space on a disc I have burned but it doesn't show the files in explorer.

Smiler 19:07 14 Mar 04

Is it slave or master and have you set the jumper on the rear of the drive correctly?

Rickys Mate 23:25 17 Mar 04

It is on the secondary IDE set as master with a DVD ROM drive set as slave. What are you thinking Smiler?

Smiler 10:03 18 Mar 04

I was thinking that if the jumper on the rear of the cd was not set correctly this might cause the problem you are experiencing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos