new cd-r/rw drive not recognised

Smokeyone 18:11 29 Dec 04

Hello

I am running out of ideas for a new cd-r/rw drive I have installed. It is for a five year old amd500 windows 98 system. It seems to have lost the D drive altogether, windows cannot find it nor can I and it is not listed under hardware. The confiruration jumper is set at slave but I have also tred it set at master.

Thanks for any ideas.
Smokeyone

PS The leeds are all pluged into the back of the drive and it runs because I tried it with a disc but the pc does not know it's there.

woodchip 18:13 29 Dec 04

Go into BIOS and redetect the drive

VoG II 18:16 29 Dec 04

Check that the cable is fully plugged in at the motherboard end.

pj123 18:28 29 Dec 04

Are you talking Windows 98 or Windows 98SE?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 29 Dec 04

Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If if doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Smokeyone 22:15 29 Dec 04

Thanks for all the advice. Will give them all a try. Was talking about windows 98 only. Will let you know what happens

Thanks

Smokeyone

Smokeyone 07:05 30 Dec 04

Managed to go to registry key and find the ref quoted but the right hand pane only has....
ab Default ,,,,
ab Class "CDROM"
ab Link "CDROM"

What happens next please....
Thanks again
Smokeyone

woodchip 16:45 30 Dec 04

AS I said go into BIOS not Registry. When you start the Computer you should see some text like TO ENTER SETUP PRESS DELL it may be another key to press to get in depends on what the BIOS is. then detect the drives you will see a page maybe for Auto Detect. Instructions for Navigating the BIOS bottom right. Do not forget to save settings before you exit

Smokeyone 00:54 31 Dec 04

Thanks for your help but I am making a right hash of this. Do you mean press del on start up so as to enter set up....
Then CMOS setup utility appears but where is auto detect...
However I went into the drives part and changed the order
First Boot device floppy
Second CD ROM
Third HD
Is this okay please...

Thanks again
Smokeyone

Smokeyone 12:47 31 Dec 04

Thank you very much again for all your help. By changing the CMOS settings and fiddling with master & slave settings I have managed to get windows 98 to find (D:) drive CD-R/RW drive and it appears okay.
However I have managed to make a further hash as MY Computer insists I have two floppy drives.
(A:) & (B:) followed by Hard Drive (C:) then CD-R/RW drive (D:)
In the start up, holding del down, the listing is Primary Master Hard Drive
Primary Slave None
Secondary Master Floppy
Secondary Slave CD-RW
Hope you can help
Smokeyone

PS On top of this my internet connection does not complete the call, dials the number and cuts off before completeing the call. It's not the modem as I tried it on a friends machine. Is this connectede to my other problem......
Thanks again

woodchip 15:25 31 Dec 04

No that is a different problem, The why you got two Floppies is you made the wrong changes in BIOS on the First page you should deselect one. you should only have a 1.44mb floppy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017