New case.....wiring in problem

terendak_uk 14:42 26 Jun 05

just bought a new case and I have mirrored the positioning of the various plugs from the old case, in the new one. Frustratingly, the plug labelled "power led" on the old case ( a three-pin female plug with a wire only in each of the ends is labelled as "M/B SW" on the new case. Also, it's a TWO pin female. If I put it in the same position ( parallel with the 4-pin female "speaker") it can only plug into the 1st two pins, unlike the old case wire which slots into the first THREE pins ( but only has wires into 1 and 3. The rest of the pins are, OK , I think. ALso frustrating is the change in colours!. The old "HDD LED" is two pin with red and black. The new is orange(+) and white(-);is the old red a "(-)" and the black a "(+)"??
Be very grateful for any help with this before I go ahead.

SEASHANTY 14:58 26 Jun 05

Unfortunately not all motherboards have the connections to the case exactly the same. You should have a diagram in your m/b manual. If not check if you can find it on the mfrs website. Also see this webpage re led connections
click here

SEASHANTY 15:07 26 Jun 05

....also the sub section "motherboard connectors"
click here

fsbb 17:20 26 Jun 05

To overcome problems re changing 3 pin (middle pin not used) to 2 pin. Carefully cut the connector with a Stanley knife so you have two separate femail connectors - discard the middle connector. Connect each to MB pins. If power led does not light, swop the connectors around.

terendak_uk 20:12 26 Jun 05

I will close a previous post about my PC erratically cutting of at POST. I just couldn't find the cause so, listening to advice, I stripped out the PC and a new case! The PC is a work-recycled one- case is ugly- so I wanted to mirror the case-MOBO plug settings. I was about to take the good advice given here but thought....have a very close look at the labelling next to the riser pins. Well, current "plug-positions" on the 16pin riser were completely different to the labels. So....taking my MOBO's life in my hands, I placed all plugs according to the labels( first time I've done that!)...Lo and behold...the PC fired up with NO problems. Apart from having to re-register the OS ( I took out a CDRW and added an IDE 160Gb HDD as storage)All is well. Thanks for the inspiration!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…