new cards

devlin 18:13 05 May 07

I have a MSi K880 Delta series mobo with onboard graphics and sound is it worth while getting seperate cards and would they work, or a new mobo ? and do the still make socket A boards anway ?? or is it a case as someone on the forum suggested go for a board and processor bundle
Devlin

Belatucadrus 18:47 05 May 07

Depends what you want to achieve, I'd think adding a VGA card would be a useful boost and would also free up some RAM. I've always found onboard sound fine and unless you want surround or something don't see the point, but it's up to you.

Totally-braindead 20:02 05 May 07

I couldn't find any board called the K880. So have no idea if it even has a graphics card slot.

For what its worth I agree with Belatucadrus in all he says. Adding a graphics card is a useful boost to your PC, even a fairly modest graphics card if you don't play games, say a £20 -30 card would improve things a bit, not necessarily with the graphics but certainly by freeing up some memory.

Of course if you have a large chunk of memory already you might not see that much of an improvement so it depends on what you have in the way of memory and what you do with your PC.

devlin 12:23 06 May 07

Hi Again
thanks for the repies I would like improved graphics and I am ok with the sound the main reason for the change is that I tried to download a newer driver for the on board graphics but I now have a wavey screen when scrolling and it was suggested that perhaps my graphics thingy has been corrupted and I have looked to find a fix for this but no luck, thats why I thought I would install a graphics card and wondered would it work or would the onboard stuff dominate
Devlin

Totally-braindead 12:44 06 May 07

As long as you have a AGP or PCI E x16 slot you can upgrade. But you have to watch what you buy, many newer cards require more power and because of this you might, depending on what power supply you have, have to buy a new power supply.
Having said that. If you are resonably happy with the onboard graphics then a modest graphics cards would do you - one that doesn't need extra power.
Or you could just roll back your onboard graphics driver to the previous one that worked ok.
Personally I don't update my drivers all the time any more, I only do it when I have to as I had a lot of problems when the updated drivers didn't work as expected.
The wavy screen when rolling might be because windows is using a default driver NOT the proper driver for your onboard graphics.
I suggest you look under CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER and report back with what graphics adaptor it is using.

devlin 13:27 06 May 07

Hi Totally braindead
Again in the device manager tab I find nothing that relates directly to graphics after a look i other devices all I have is PCI modem which apparently is'nt working is this relevant ?
Dev

Belatucadrus 14:07 06 May 07

The graphics should be listed in the device manager under "Display Adapters", when you find it double click on it then look in the drivers tab on the new window.
I recently "Upgraded" my graphics card to an FX5200 click here now I'm sure the hardcore gamers would fall about laughing at the prospect of such a budget card being an upgrade, but it suits me fine.
If the PCI modem is showing up as not working, this could simply be if it's not connected to the phone network if you are on broadband.

devlin 14:18 06 May 07

Hi
Under the display adapters I have two things both raedeon
1 is radeon 9200 pro family (microsoft corp)
2 is as above with sec family { Ms Corp}
both apparantely are working
Dev

Belatucadrus 16:10 06 May 07

Not knowing which is the appropriate one, I'd be tempted to Uninstall both,reboot then reinstall the new driver you've downloaded.

devlin 16:33 06 May 07

Thanks for that I may try it later or go for some new toys at e-buyer
Dev

devlin 11:44 10 May 07

H again
I did as you suggested but uninstalled one and rebooted I had a 50/50 chance of being right and it work out fine
Thanks again
Dev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…