New Camcorder?

paul654 09:44 16 Aug 10

I'm am looking to purchase a new Camcorder. I have been reading lots of forums on the subject and have become more confused than ever. I want to be able to put my home movies onto dvd so I can make copies for other members of the family. I dont do much movie making, just holidays, special occasions etc. At first I was going to buy a non-HD machine but various forums suggest that the image quality is not as good as on old 'Tape' machines. I like the look of the HD Panasonic SD-60 but I dont have a Bluray Writer....can you make non HD dvd's from this machine? I also read that there are editing and conversion issues especially with Panasonic machines. I'm a simple man...I just want to point, shoot, edit on pc and make a dvd with the best picture quality I can get from a sub £400 camcorder...any suggestions?

Kevscar1 10:04 16 Aug 10

Try reading some reviews might be better than forums.

click here

Woolwell 10:32 16 Aug 10

I have a Panasonic HD camcorder.
There were some problems with format with the ones that recorded on discs. The VRO format was quite difficult to work with on PC's. The HD ones though record in m2ts format (AVCHD) and there isn't a problem with that. You can use the Panasonic software to publish these on DVD but there are 2 snags with this. They may not fit as HD files are large and you will lose HD playback.
Editing large files takes some time and you will need a powerful pc, plenty of RAM and a large hard drive. You can connect your camcorder to a TV for playback. I have just bought a blu-ray writer as I want to store my edited films in HD (1080) for playback on a blu-ray player. I have got a large external hd for backup.
Image quality is as good as old tape machines but mini-dv is still good. Read the reviews you may find that it isn't as good in low light with a fair amount of noise.
Read about battery life and the size of sd cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…