New Buyer AMD or Pentium

BigJohnM 19:06 19 Feb 04

Am new buyer and looking to purchase my first PC for the following : Manage Digital Photos, Download Music (CD & MP3), Download DVD, Administrate a sports club website and manage personal admin.

I am not a big gamer but might perhaps look into it when I get the PC.

I have decided to buy from one of the smaller independednts (Carrera / Mesh / Nethighstreet) depending on the best deal and following advice from the magazine (and forum) but I am unsure at to whether to go for Pentium or Athlon. The latter seems to be better for digital media ? and the intel processor for Windows ? As I will be using both I have no idea how to choose.

My second dilemma is on what kind of power I need to get - this is what I have guestimated at :

AMD Athlon 64 3000 / Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with HT
80GB Hard Drive
512K Memory at 3200???
Sony DVD R+/R- writer
52 Speed CD Burner

My budget is roughly £800. I would appreciate it if someone offer me some basic advice - I will also put this on the Consumer forum?

Thanks in advance!

961 19:19 19 Feb 04

If you are after value, go for Athlon

It is too early to buy Athlon 64, as all the specs are changing in summer 2004. Buy Athlon XP 2500-3000 Barton

Otherwise your spec is spot on

Search this site for the names of all the makers you specify for problems

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:24 19 Feb 04

There are a lot of threads on 'AMD vs Athlon and to precis...there is no noticeable difference. 64 bit processing is only useful if you are running a huge network and it is doubtful if HT will make noticeable difference for what you need the computer for. I would go for the cheaper processor and put the price difference towards an external HD.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…