new buyer

j999ner 20:43 23 Jan 05

I was thinking of buying a computer for my 13yr old grandaughter and was looking at 2 in tiny with celeron processors one a 330D lga 755 the other 320D with New Prescott core.
However looking at march's pca it tells you to steer clear of celeron does that apply to these.
Also if I was buying a tiny computer would it be wise to buy back up discs or disc {novice}any advice?

mattyc_92 20:49 23 Jan 05

Can't advise you on Tiny computers... Never had one (but my friend used to a few years ago and it seemed fine)... The recovery disk comes with your system (that's why it is called "recovery disk"..lol)... All you need to buy is the programs you want, like Office, Paint Shop Pro, Nero, etc...

***NOTE: The "recovery disk" is only given to NEW systems, not second hand systems!!****

Technotiger 20:52 23 Jan 05

Hi, no personal experience of Tiny, but from what I have read in various sources I would steer clear - cheap to buy but apparantly not so great when things go pearshaped.
A better bet would be to start at PC World or perhaps a smaller local pc shop near where you live. You could always go back to the shop if any problems - and there usually are!!

Cheers.

AndySD 21:06 23 Jan 05

If you buy any PC its best to get either the Full Windows CD or the backup/restore disks.

Technotiger 22:38 23 Jan 05

>

TomJerry 23:10 23 Jan 05

celeron processor will satisfy most home users unless your grandughter is a fast graphic intensive game crazy or video editing semi-professional

Technotiger 23:12 23 Jan 05

Hi, I wasn't saying steer clear of celeron, I was refering to Tiny :-))

TomJerry 23:40 23 Jan 05

cannot believe PCA actually said that

Starfox 23:48 23 Jan 05

I think Tiny will charge you for a recovery disc (abot £70)and watch that modem if your grandaughter wants to go online, it's tied to Supanet, which is o.k if you want them as your ISP.

j999ner 12:43 24 Jan 05

thanks for your advice very useful she's two drops slower than treacle.page 200 march pca avoid celeron.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…