new buld. cant install vista or xp.

thetrickster 10:57 02 Mar 08

Recently bought new parts to build my new p.c. When connecting everything and switching on, i manage to get past the POST stage. It will then ask to boot from the media (CDROM). I have tried to install both vista and xp. but everytime it gets to different stages on the installation then just stops!

i have the following components:

2 gig ddr3 ocz
asus p5e3 motherboard
nvidia 8800gt
core 2 duo q6600
western digital 160gb HD
sony dvd writer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:15 02 Mar 08

What stages?

SATA or EIDE drive?

thetrickster 12:27 02 Mar 08

it says sata on my HD

citadel 16:54 02 Mar 08

did you change first boot device to cdrom in the bios first.

bremner 16:56 02 Mar 08

During install have you pressed F6 when requested and loaded the SATA drivers?

thetrickster 17:46 02 Mar 08

yes changed the boot device to cdrom within BIOS, not made any difference. I have not been requested to press F6. SATA drivers???? cant see any option to load SATA drivers. i get as far as "loading windows files" but it hangs everytime same with XP disc.

p.s i have swopped the cdrom drive for another but still get the same problem. starting to sway towards the HD or memory. Any comments would be gratefull guys..

bremner 18:35 02 Mar 08

Your problem seems to be no SATA drivers.

When Windows first starts to load look to the bottom of the screen and you will see the prompt to press F6.

You will need the SATA drivers from your motherboard, it is best on floppy disk if you have an FDD.

thetrickster 18:50 02 Mar 08

hi bremner. the thing is i can`t install windows!! i get past POST, and can get into bios. i get as far as "loading windows files" but it just hangs evertime???? should i hook the new HD upto my old desktop which runs xp and create a partition from there??

thetrickster 21:51 02 Mar 08

hi. for some reason it wont allow me to press F6. i can press F2 for auto recovery??? strange

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac