New Build and XPSP2

gpx600 20:10 04 Oct 07

Hi all Am about to build a new PC to replace my old self built SktA rig.My question is one that has been answered many times before and it is can I install my full retail version of XP Pro SP2 on the new one even though it currently resides on the old one. I will not be using any items from the old so do I have to take a hammer and smash the old Hard Disk in front of Bills windows police!

skidzy 20:43 04 Oct 07

Normally windows should die with the motherboard,however once installed you may have to ring Microsoft to activate windows.
Explain to MS that the drive died and you wish to install on a new drive,and you should be ok.

Ive done this myself in the past and can be done depending how nice the MS rep is.

They may issue you a new license key.

Strawballs 22:13 04 Oct 07

As this this is a full retail version of XP then it does not die with the old machine and yes you can put it on the new one as long as it is removed from the old one ie format the disc.

DieSse 22:18 04 Oct 07

As Strawballs said - you can change a full retail copy of XP from one system to another. However you can only have it on one system at a time.

You would therefore need to remove it from the old system.

If you have a use for the old system why not try reviving it with one of the new version Linux operating systems. Ubuntu/Kubuntu, PCLinux OS, Suse 10.3 (currently in beta, but due out fully quite soon.)

skidzy 22:34 04 Oct 07

My apologies,i didnt read the thread correctly.

Strawballs 22:42 04 Oct 07

I have recently been trying Ubuntu on an old Duron 900 machine with quite good results, still early days but making progress

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5