new build rebooting problem

vinnyobee 16:56 10 Nov 06

hi all,ive got a problem with my new build and i need help!,the only old thing ive kept from my old pc is memory and hard drive

basically when i power up everything works as normal,but then a screen comes up offering me ways of starting up(safe mode,etc)when i choose "start up windows normally"i get a blue screen with an error message for a split second,and then the windows xp screen for a split second and then it switches off and re-starts continuously ,i wish i could read the message but it goes off too fast!i`ve disconnected everything not needed,any help please,thanks in advance.

jimv7 17:16 10 Nov 06

Have you done a clean install of windows or are you hoping your old installation will work.

vinnyobee 17:28 10 Nov 06

hi,jimv7,i thought naively that i could just connect my old hdd and it would be ok,am i wrong?

jimv7 17:49 10 Nov 06

It will have different drivers than your new motherboard, you can try a repair install or a clean install of windows.

Legolas 18:02 10 Nov 06

vinnyobee I would try a repair installation first and as a last resort I would do clean install as of course you would lose all the stuff of the HDD with a clean install. click here click on the "skip to repair" link at the top of the page" and of course totally ignore this post if you already know how to do a repair ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 10 Nov 06

only old thing ive kept from my old pc is memory and hard drive

Boot to safe mode if it will.
disable the drivers as shown Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here
rebbot to normal and let XP find and install nw hardware, you will need you new motherboard driver CD.

vinnyobee 18:19 10 Nov 06

thanks a lot guys for the help,i`ll keep trying and get back to you

vinnyobee 18:23 10 Nov 06

the problem is,is that xp is on the hdd,that`s why i want to keep it,i have a restore xp cd,will it work if i put it in the drive before booting?

jimv7 18:26 10 Nov 06

The restore cd will not work as it will try and load all the old drivers and is propably tied to the old motherboard, you need to borrow xp from a friend and use your licence no.

Legolas 18:29 10 Nov 06

The best way to find out is to try it. Boot from your restore disk and see what happens.

Legolas 18:31 10 Nov 06

jimv7 of course your right, vinnyobee ignore my rather stupid suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017