New build query

Bubo 21:29 11 Jul 03

I am a relative newcomer to this field so please bear with me if I get the terminology wrong.

I have just finished putting together a system from a variety of old and new bits. I previously formatted the disc to NTFS as I intend to load XP Home on it and have fitted brand new CD-Rom and floppy drives for which I have the driver discs. My problem seems to be that the CD-ROM is not working because the driver is not loaded and therfore I cannot proceed to load XP. I do not have a boot disc and am not sure if this would help. Is there anyway around this, probably, very simple problem?

Quiller. 21:35 11 Jul 03

If you enter the bios, pick cdrom as first boot in advanced cmos settings. Save settings and exit.

When you boot with the X\P disk in, it will start the programme.

sil_ver 21:36 11 Jul 03

Have you set BIOS to first boot from CD?

Bubo 21:55 11 Jul 03

I had the BIOS set to boot from the CD, however I cannot get any output at all from the CD unit. It will not even eject. I have checked the power supply cable and it appears to be letting power through. The floppy is working okay.

Ironman556 22:12 11 Jul 03

How do you know the power's working? If the cable is working you may have a problem with the power on the actual drive. Do you have another drive you can try?

If you can "borrow" an internet connection go to click here and find the boot disk modified for XP, booting with that should load some CD-ROM drivers and enable the CD-ROM.

Quiller. 22:38 11 Jul 03

Have you got the power connector the right way round. Red wires of power connector facing the red wire of the IDE ribbon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…