new build problem

talia 19:59 24 Jul 03

just built mu first machine from scratch and all has gone reasonably well BUT!!

everytime I boot up from cold it will not boot from HD. The 'Boot Menu' seems to default back to 1. Boot from Floppy
2. Boot from CD.

to get the machine to start I have to keep going into CMOS Setup and load up the HD settings from scratch.

MBoard; K7S5A
Chipset: SiS735
Bio: AMI

tamc98 20:13 24 Jul 03

Talia,
I'm sure one of the more knowledgable people will come along soon, but it sounds to me as though the system battery is failing. Shouldn't happen on a new mobo but then 99% of the faults listed on here shouldn't happen.
HTH, Tony.

talia 20:40 24 Jul 03

I am beginning to get the feeling that the MOBO is duff.

Why would it keep losing CMOS and BIOS settings?

clayton 20:45 24 Jul 03

I would do a search on here for K7S5A there have been a number of problems with this mobo.

BlueMeanie 20:53 24 Jul 03

Have you placed the battery jumper to the correct running position. When supplied often the motherboard battery jumper is on the reset position.

PA28 20:58 24 Jul 03

BlueMeanie is right, I have exactly that on my motherboard. Check the jumper which will be near the battery as he says - refer to the manual if it's not clear. Also check in your BIOS that the boot sequence starts with your hard drive, then floppy, then CD-R - whilst you're there check that detection of drives is set to Auto right through.

rioboy 20:58 24 Jul 03

Hi talia, I speak from personal experience regarding the K7S5A and can tell you that they are fine motherboards for Duron processers up to 1300. However try putting an Athlon XP processer in and they do not like it one bit!! If you are able I strongly suggest that you exchange the mobo for a different model.

talia 21:12 24 Jul 03

Check the battery Jumpers but at same time running an XP1800+ processor.

Other people have managed to run this processor on this board but others have not?

woodchip 23:42 24 Jul 03

Had a job finding you, look on the motherboard, and in the manual for a jumper, bios protection it should be enabled. Also check for a clear cmos jumper near battery this should be in normal run position, if not you will keep getting your problem and checksum error

Gaz 25 00:39 25 Jul 03

Why would it keep losing CMOS and BIOS settings?
CMOS battery?

or a fault.

Gaz 25 00:42 25 Jul 03

Had a job finding you, look on the motherboard, and in the manual for a jumper, bios protection it should be enabled. Also check for a clear cmos jumper near battery this should be in normal run position, if not you will keep getting your problem and checksum error.

Then is is a CMOS battery that needs replacing or is a fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…